94 FORD TAURUS SHO 3.2

Asked by Feb 21, 2015 at 12:25 PM about the 1994 Ford Taurus SHO

I have a 94 Ford Taurus SHO 3.2, I have a anti- freeze leak, but thats the least of my
worries, I just recently got my SHO running again after sitting for a year. (this car is
my baby) anyway it has developed and chugging or acts like it wants to die when I am
stopped at a light or parked. When I put the car into park it seems to stop. Then twice
now its seems like its going to blow up, smoke starts come out smells like burning
something, but the car isn't over heating, then when I drove again it stopped. There is
oil in it, seems like it maybe leaking a bit not sure where or why, I don't have to put oil
in it often. I have an new alternator in it, new battery, and starter. I am always filling
the reservoir or the anti-freeze, but the radiator is completely full, and when both are
full the coolant light comes on? What the &^$% ? When I ask questions the guys at
the auto parts store they treat me like a dumb girl and don't get that it's a SHO and it's
different and the SHO parts are not the same as a regular Taurus. This is my second
SHO and I love them, even tho I know they are money pits, but fun to drive and race.
I don't race mine, in fact I have never opened this one up, I am the 3rd owner and it
has 129,000 miles on it. If I need to be more detailed please feel free to ask me, as I
am a girl and not sure exactly. Thank you...Melyssa

246,055

Ok, so you have a leak somewhere since you adding coolant. The low coolant light coming on might be a faulty or dirt coolant level sensor. That is in the coolant reservoir, remove it and see if it is gunked up. Where is the smoke coming from, the tailpipe? Is it a white cloud? Maybe you have a head gasket leak and that's why you are losing coolant. Perform a leak down and compression test on your engine cylinders to confirm what I suspect.

Thank you for your response, no the smoke is coming from the engine under the hood closer to the dash, its come out on both sides. I am going to go the the sensor deal here shortly. i bought a new thermostat will that make a difference at all?

246,055

Replace the thermostat if you suspect the car is running too hot or cold. Sounds like your leaking oil somewhere too. Find the leaks first before replacing anything.

If you Wana find your leak fast, take it for a good run, then pull over, Jack the car up and safely secure it. Make sure to leave the car running. Then get under the car with a good flashlight, and give it a minute be patient and I garauntee you will see any and all leaks. I have had many battles with mine and I still love it to death.