94 Taurus won't start til the fuel pump shuts off

Asked by Jan 05, 2011 at 06:12 PM about the 1994 Ford Taurus GL

I have a 94 3.8 Taurus that sometimes has trouble starting. You can gear the fuel pump
working as soon as you turn on the switch, however, instead of pumping for a few seconds
and cutting off, it may take anywhere from a few minutes to an hour before cutting off. The
car will turn over but won't start until the pump stops pumping. This seems to be worse the
linger the car sits without being started; if it sits mire than a day, it will usually run the battery
down before it stops. On the other hand, if I'm driving around and start back within a small
amount if time (up to a few hours) it starts up normally. I've replaced the battery, fuel pump,
and filter and am at a loss about what to try next. Any thoughts?

sounds like a stuck FP relay,is located under hood on driver side on firewall you will see 3 relays,unplug 1 at a time until FP shouts off replace.

I found the relay (integrated control module) on top of the radiator, tried replacing it, no difference.

OK,what I would try next is Bleading the fuel rail for air in the system,is a valve on top of rail,looks like a tire valve.turn keyswitch on,use small screwdriver,golf tee,anything small enough to push valve down,put a couple of old rags down,keep your face away from it ,push valve down see if any air comesout,theirwill be fuel comeing out also,if it bubles the system has air in it,keep doing this until bubles quit,dont hold valve down but a few seconds at a time,u will have to do this several times to get all air out of fuel system.if this dont work,problem may be a bad keyswitch.

i to have a 94 3.8 and have head the same problem but i replaced the fuel pump drove it from colorado to indana 3 days later same inshow put a new battry in it you can drive it a round the block and some time ill just pull back where i park and then ill die or ill cut off driveing and the same thing happenss cud tak few mins or a hour befor you hear the pump then i can start it back up