how expensive would it be to buy and put in a brand new 5.3lv8 into a 2002 chevy silverado 4x4?

1,135

Asked by Apr 02, 2013 at 12:14 PM about the 2002 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab Short Bed 4WD

im debating in putting a new engine into a truck with 173k , no body rust, perfect truck, just the miles
are scaring me and i dont want to have any mechanical issues down the road as ill be traveling alot. just
wondering is all.

3,210

If it's in good shape like you say, go for it. You'll have a piece of mind, a he ck of a truck, and no new truck payments like Mr. Smith.

99,065

Don't do it. It's throwing money down the drain. You have gotten this far with regular oil changes so keep it up. Put the money you would have spent in a new car fund for the deposit on the next one. --- With the rise of gas prices, the value of large trucks is down. Find a low mileage, late model truck that has suffered the first year depreciation.

2,405

Well the miles that are on your truck arent that bad. It should last alot longer up to the 300000 mile zone. those engines last for a long time.I wpold just save that money for a used truck with low miles and great engine.

1,205

I would be worried about the transmission or the transfer case going more than the engine. I agree with the guys above me save your money unitl you need an engine or you buy something newer. Amazon has one for $2335 with free prime shipping then you would either have to install it yourself or pay someone probably around another $1000 to put it in. http://www.amazon.com/PROFessional-Powertrain-DCT8- Chevrolet- Remanufactured/dp/B007CX6HNW/ref=au_pf_ss_1? ie=UTF8&Make=Chevrolet%7C47&Model=Avalanche%201 500%7C416&Year=2003%7C2003&carId=005&n=15684181 &s=automotive

1,135

thanks gurus, i appreciate it!

14,645

From your picture, you look like you live in snow country? A 4X4 will bring good money on a trade in or private sale. Have a garage go through the engine, and transmission, changing the fluids and filters. Do a major tune-up with new plug wires. Check the breaks and lines, wheel bearings, and rear-end grease. This will cost from $250 to $500 where a new motor will cost from $3 grand to $5 grand, and you will not recoup on a resale. Like everyone above said, save the money for a down payment. If you have not driven it like it was stolen, you will get 10 more years use out of it. Hell, new seats or "pick-a-part" shopping from a wrecking yard may get you better seats and other items that appear worn, for cheap money.

50

I'm restoring ever mechanical part in and on my 01 Silverado 5.3 with a 190k miles on it. New engine, tranny, rear end, front end, fuel pump, heater core, exhaust, cooling system, everything you can think of and it is only going to cost me around 18k. My mechanic agrees with me to go crazy on it and re-do everything. My interior is still like new. I'll have a new truck and I don't have to spend 40k for it. I say rebuild your old truck, don't pay the crazy prices people want for a late model one with 60 to 90k miles on it. Good luck with your decision. I'll be driving mine another 25 years or more before I'll have to do anything major to it again.

14,645

Ok The_Sheese, it is going on two years since you asked your question. What have you done? I had an everyday driver Crossover SUV Buick that had over 135K on it. It was starting ti nickle and dime me to death. Spending more each month than payments on a new one, and getting piece of mind. So I got a new/used dealer GMC Treeain, put my saved down payment against it with my 12 year old Buick. My payments are $250 range, 100K extended policy, 50% better mileage, and no worries about breakdowns. dbcoonass1 gave another option, but for $5K more I got a new SUV. I agree $40K for a PU is strange and outrageous. If you got a good tune-up and had it gone through, that is if you happy with it, the best way to have gone.

10

if it ain't broke don't fix it.....I just checked on my 2001 and here in Austin,Tx it's about 3000.to replace rear main seal and new lifters. A new engine from gm and labor will be 6000....may look for used low milage truck and move on..

30

I am currently contemplating this same scenario. I have a 2002 Sierra with 258,000 on it and expecting to hit 300,000 by end of next year. My thoughts are to keep what I have. Body is in excellent shape with minor paint issues. I figure $5k to $8k for newer engine is better than $500 mo payments for 6 years for an new truck. Will get the same life on engine and trans either way.

14,645

If you really look good, you can find either a crate engine or good rebuilt for a lot less than the top est. of $8,000. I'd also either get a rebuild or crate transmission. Take the other money you'd expect to spend and do the suspension, and other things that will bring it up to like a new truck again. Some rebuild engines can have the same guarantee as a new crate engine. At a lot less cost. If you have money left over, consider a paint job, or when I was at the SEMA show in Vegas, I spoke to the company that sells wraps to cover autos. I got an estimate to do a car, complete for less than $1300. Plan you project wisely, and see how far you money can really go. Enjoy your truck. Older clean looking trucks are still nice to look at.

30

I have a 2006 1500 z71 with 199,989 miles and has a lifter tick and now just lost oil pressure. I just ordered a new hp 5.3 motor from ATK for 3 k delivered to my door. The way new prices are on a new truck 40 k on up Id be damn if I will pay those prices ever again now that im retired. Just replace your motor and be done with it. Thats my opinion...

30

Be interested in how the 5.3 replacement works out. I have the same 2002 Silverado LT, 210k, still runs well. RG

14,645

My grandson is pondering this same dilemma. rebuild, or replace. When he got his drivers license, and grad from high school, he found cars are like girlfriends. What may look very nice on the outside, costs a lot of money. He got a good looking 88 Jeep. He has replaced nearly everything, from driveshafts, to ignitions systems brakes, fuel delivery systems, and it still runs like crap. Backyard mechanics that owned it before, put miss matching parts on it, and sold it to a HS grad for top money. Now with everything replaced except the engine, he is considering either replacing the engine or rebuilding it. It looks nice, but treats him like crap. The engine pings under pressure, and no amount of ignition or timing or fuel delivery can rid it of the pinging. Now its using oil, but no smoking, clean new exhaust, yet he has to check daily the oi8l level, and the engine pinging is still there when trying to execrate on the freeway. His mechanic has called in the Jeep dealership mechanics, and they can't find the issue. So Austin is saving money to either rebuild or replace. Lessons in life at an early age. BTW, he does have a beautiful girl friend, and she is not a gold digger.

20

Buy the engine! I did and I have no payments. New one costs 40 to 50 grand.....and is less of a truck than the old one. I have the 5.3 and the "all new" 4.8 sucks according to some friends of mine that have them.

30

We have a 2002 Silverado LT, 210k miles, and I'm going to hang onto it and fix what it may need in the future. This truck has the best seats of about any vehicle I've been in and drives and tows well.

Depends on the cost of the engine to start with. go on line and look for crate engines, giving the size and model you want. Then expect one grand or more for the changeout.

14,645

So what you all think I'm changing out my 5.3 ls motor in my 2002 avalanche, it will cost me for a used motor that has 84 k miles on it 1300 or do I rebuild the one I got ? For several hundred, also the 1300 has a 36,000 mile warranty on it

14,645

Guru99J34: The money you spend is up to you. Getting a used engine that may last 3 years vs. a new crate that with proper maintains will go 10 + years. A rebuilt engine will go 8 to 12 years depending on the amount you beat it. If money is the real issue, get the used one, but you are getting someone's old engine and who knows what was done or how it was maintained. You have to make that decision. I'd go with the crate if you are wanting to keep the vehicle for several years.

I am also pondering this same thing , I have a 94 Chevy 1500 2 dr extended cab that has 178,000 miles . Just stripped it to the bare metal, bought a cowl, hood, all new smoked lights, phantom grill, billet pedals, door poppers, brand new GM transmission, shaved relocated the tail gate, and door handles, just ordered a crate 350 from Ridley gm wholesale for 1769.99 and a RV cam. And all hoses alternator starter brand new, new wheels and tires , new carpet, fiberglassed the dash, 2100 for ppg Ap8 paint kit, 3800 to shoot it total cost 16,000. I ordered it custom from gm brand new got a lot of sentimental value never plan on selling it. Some will say I'm crazy but I did it my way and it's paid for so those people can kiss my ass

30

Hello Buck, Thinking about a GM remanufactured transmission for my 02 Silverado, 201K. How has the transmission worked out? estimate for a transmission? I checked with another company for a rebuilt transmission but am leaning toward the GM. Thanks, Randy

14,645

02Silveradodriver, consider this on rebuild vs. new. The new transmission has the latest technology. It may have more gears, and offer better low end pull combined with top end economy. Just something to consider when looking for one way to go vs. the other. Rebuilding is or should be cheaper though. Just another door to open to look into.

I just actually purchased a re-manufactured crate engine & transmission for my 2005 chevy silverado 5.3L from www.fraserengineco.com . I got a pretty good deal and ended up keeping the truck when i was originally going to sell it... I payed $2000 for the engine and $1200 for labor, truck was in mint condition so to me it would have been foolish to get rid of it... I just put a new 4l60 transmission in there too for $1400.00 . Love the truck and absolutely HATE car payments !!!!