My truck seems to be stuck in four wheel drive even though my switch is in 2 wheel drive. When driving it sounds like it is stuck in. I have tried to stop and switch between all ranges in nuetral mand it does not work. Can someone help me out on where to start looking?

Asked by Mar 14, 2013 at 09:21 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab Short Bed 4WD

check the fuse. There are three main things that will blow the fuse; the front axle actuator, the encoder motor on the transfer case or a mechanical problem in the transfer case. First unplug the actuator and see if the fuse blows. If not the actuator is bad, If the fuse blows, unplug the motor on the transfer case. If the fuse does not blow with the motor unplugged, but does with it connected, remove the motor from the case and try again. If it still blows the fuse, the motor is likely bad. If the fuse does not blow with the motor out of the transfer case, the problem is more likely internal to the case. If it binds internally, the motor will pull too many amps and blow the fuse.

click images to enlarge

turn the vehicle on and have 2wd selected and get under the truck and tap on the shift motor on the transfer case with a small hammer or something see if it will pop out. ive seen alot of motors go bad and if you hit them they will go to working again, for a little while anyways. it could be a control issue or internal transfer case issue. but hitting the motor is best thing to start with.

And ditto on kbro's post. Makes sense to me

I need help. My truck is stuck in 4 wheel drive low. The switch just blinks then go's out.

It's the motor my dads truck did this and I changed the motor and it works flawlessly now

Put your transmission in neutral first and then shift to 2 wheel drive. It should shift out of low right away

I had my 4wd suddenly go out on my 94 Silverado. I researched and believed it to be the Actuator. I replaced with new one and still no 4wd. Then I checked the fuse(should have done that first) and it was blown. I replaced the fuse (25A) and the 4wd worked. I was going to take back the Actuator I bought, but figured with 202,000 miles, $87 was worth replacing it. I am assuming the blown fuse was result of bad Actuator. So, if your fuses keep blowing, replace the Actuator too. Hope my experience helps.

I put into neutral and the pressed the 2wd and it switched.

I just purchased a clean 2001 Silverado 1500 HD 4wd, it test drove pretty good and after a full tune up and final test drive I lost all gears at a stop sign. No noise or vibration, I got to the stop sign and nothing when I tried to accel. No gears at all, there is a spinning/grinding sound below. I towed it to the local mechanic and he said he didn't think it was the tranny or transfer case but rather the shift motor. I called another tranny mechanic and he suggested the same. Any thoughts or relative situations, parts about 150 and labor is about 50 they say but im curious is there a way to test or work around? N.

I have a 2015 silverado, it's been having issues since day one, it seems to want to bounce back in forth between gears and they've put in a new torque converter and that did nothing they put in a new transmission and that didn't fix it, this last time it got stuck in 4 low and felt like some tires we're locked up it got towed into the shop and they put in a new transfer case actuator, I've had it for a day now and it drives but it's still has other issues. It feels like it's loose or something if I let off the gas and give it gas it sometimes feels like it goes around and when it catches it makes a loud clunking noise anyone have any solution/suggestions?

have a ford 150 have it in 2 wheel drive but still have front passenger side locked in 4 wheel help thanks

Did you ever figure it out? Mine does the same thing, I've replaced the front differential, the 4wd switch, the transfer case encoder still not fixed, only thing I can think of is the 4wd computer but who knows

on the ford on the pass side of the engine compartment by the firewall are two solinoids one of them is bad.

Guy's I'm a little stuck here I've got a 97 GMC Suburban K1500 stuck in 4 low and just need it in 2 hi, don't got any money and need it done quick is there an easy way to just shift it back to 2 hi manually and if so what do I gotta do for me to do it?

my old Bravada was stuck in 4 wheel drive. My fix was changing out the transfer control module. Car runs great!

I have a 2011 Chevy Silverado what will not shift into 4 wheel h. L ,N it just stays in 2 wheel H.

I have a Ford F-150 and it is stuck in 4wd high help

How much they cost me to lift 9"my Chevy Silverado 2008

I have a 1996 silverado z71 1500 4x4 if you have no gears your transfer case may be stuck in nutral.mine blows the fuse but im a retired mechanic .i know whats wrong with mine .

I have a 2010 silverado... I can't get it to switch to 2 high, somehow it stuck in 4 low, but I never put it in 4 low... Any ideal what it might be? Could it be the transfer motor, fuse, or bad switch? In advance thanks for your help!

If you have a trailer hooked up, you have to unplug the trailer brake lights. That worked for me, I have no idea why.

I have a 2002 tahoe. The front axle 4x4 solenoid was broke when I got it. I just replaced it and pushed 4 hi. It went in with no issues. When I hit 4 lo it made a clunk and went into 4 lo but woulnt come out no matter what I did. I shut the engine off and when I started it back up the 4x4 lights were all out and a message said service 4x4 and my tahoe wouldn't shift out of first gear in 4 lo. Lucky enough I kept reading on different threads and found the answer. I unhooked my battery cables starting with the positive then negative. Left them off for five minutes. After 5 I reconnected them. To my surprise my lights had come back on the 4x4 buttons so with the car running I shifted from R N D N R over and over with my foot off the brake while pushing 2 high and boom. Back into business. Also if your cars buttons won't light up or if it keeps putting it's self into 4x4. There is a ground bolt just below the drivers door hinge with 1 or 2 ground wires on it. Take them off and clean the metal up. And chances are it will fix the issue. Seems to be a big issue with 99 to 2006 chevy truck and suvs.

Have somebody work the switch while you tap on the encodermotor with a small hammer when it shifts in to 2 high .take out number 2 fues that whay you want acadently get stuck back in 4 high or low .when you can change incoder motor .there around 210.00 bucks .

I leve mine in 4 wheel high then just pull fuse when i need it i just put fues back in then switch 4low then back 4high to get it locked in .then when i dont need it i just pull fuse .ant got 210 bucks mine has the encoder motor with a two wire plug on the shift motor and a 4 prong plug with 2 wires on the front actutater ..evetything works im just replaceing everything to new one piece at a time not cheep 76 for dash switch 150 for actutater just got the computer and encoder left .all other switchs on the tcase work mines a 96 z71 5.7 with the larger transmition and trasfercase

My 2004 Tahoe had the same issue. It would go to 4L when I turned it off. I later turned it back on , and then it would go back to normal. If I put it auto it would stay. A new switch did not fix it. I had the front left bearing replaced and now the switch it acting normal again.. Hope this helps..Jeff

Put it on a lift, or jack it up and suport it, remove the front axle and see if the front dif spins free , if the light shows its in 2 wheel drive znd the front dif spins free at th yalk then its in 2 wheel drive. 98-02 4 button electric shift is a 2 speed transfer case .. so the drive line is always in gear, if the u joints are locking up or loose it will cause vibration, if it shows its in 2 wheel drive but the front axle is engaged" i should add when running" then it can be a fuse, or the actuator.. worst case, internal problem . in the front dif.. but their cheap and easy to replace