Lifter chatter on start up

Asked by Apr 04, 2017 at 03:59 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Ext Cab Short Bed 2WD

I recently had some work performed on my
chevy truck. The rear main seal was
leaking so I had it replaced and I also so
had the oil pump replaced. My wife drove
the truck approximately 30 miles. She said
the truck engine sounds like it's low on oil
and it sounds like and old sewing machine.
So I checked the oil level and it was
exactly where it should be on the dip stick.
I let the truck sit for about an hour and then
restarted the engine again it sounded like it
was low on oil lots of valve chatter but it
slowly faded away. I drove the truck about
20 miles and the low oil pressure light
came on so I shut the engine off. I had the
truck towed back to the shop that worked
on it and they said it probably has a bad
lifter and would need a cam and lifter set
or I might need a new engine. The engine
had never chattered like that before they
replaced the oil pump. I think the shop
didn't replace the o-ring seal on the pick
up tube and it caused the oil pressure to
drop and that caused damage to the cam
and lifters. I don't feel I should have to pay
for there mistake. Mike B

61,005

The o'ring might be missing or it may have gotten out of position. If that is the case then the shop that did the work is on the hook for the repair.

79,265

And driving that short of distance I doubt the cam and lifters have worn out. They, the shop, need to verify the oil pressure, and if it is low, they need to repair it.

79,265

Even if wear happen to the cam and lifters, it was not a issue when you brought it in. Stick to your guns.

Thank you for your quick input on this issues. I spoke to the shop that did the work and asked them to explain if a lifter did go out or had a problem wouldn't the engine run rough and have a mis??? I asked what about the oil pressure drop??? They said chevy engines sometimes just start having issues.WTF This engine ran excellent and now I'm without a truck for over a week. I informed the service writer and the manager that I wrenched on vehicles for over 30 years and I could teach a class on how the combustion engine works, so please explain to me mechanically how this could just happen. The other problem is I work for the company that ownes this repair facility so basically these techs are my coworkers indirectly and I'm about to show them my other personality that they've never seen. Please give me your input on this before you read about this or see it on the news. Mike B pissed off

79,265

Well if there is one thing I learned threw the years, as much as you would like to unload on them, it doesn't get you anywhere, and can could cause more grief, and even possible embarrassment. But I would think you have the upper hand in this. There is a new oil pump in there for goodness sake. Couldn't you press the issue and make this a #1 priority on them? Anything they do now I would want to see what part they find they say is bad, and show and explain why it is to you. And I agree with you that there would be a miss if the cam had worn, or collapsed lifter, but all of them? I don't think so. Talk with a higher up and see what they can do to put some pressure on them.

Thank you for your quick response I sincerely appreciate your input. Yes I have learned over the years that an explosive temper gets results but usually not good ones. I have learned also that by talking or writing out what I'm feeling or what my mind wants to do to a neutral party like yourself it dissipates the explosive temper mode. And again thank you, you have no idea how much your input has helped me figure this out.Now I know that I'm not overlooking something on the repair that was done. This is an outstanding app and I would recommend it to anyone that has questions about car repair. No more stress Mike B

79,265

Getting rid of stress is always a good thing. I finally got rid of the stress in my life 5 years ago, and never ben happier and now am more content. Only good things have come from being this way, people notice and seem to respect you more. Good luck with this, please keep me updated on the progress with your vehicle.

On my 2000 chevy Silverado with 4.8 after the new oil pump was installed we had issues.In your opinion,If the new oil pump was not primed properly and the engine was started and then driven what kind of problems could that cause to the components with in the engine?????

79,265

You now have excessive wear on the internal engine components. It is what it is now.