My timing belt looks to me that its walking

105

Asked by Nov 13, 2011 at 10:46 PM about the 1994 Ford Ranger Splash Standard Cab Stepside SB

Timing belt was installed about 20.000 miles ago, but just noticed its seems to be going forward so is another pulley going bad or is their another possible problem?

815

Hello Check if you can move the belt with your hand. If you can't, see if you can test the tension just by pressing down on the belt. It shouldn't have too much play like 3 cm OR 1.2inch would be considered too much play (depending on the length) and the tensioner(s) might not be properly set. If you had this done by the dealer or an independent garage then i would take the vehicle back and complain and ask for a check-up/repair of the belt and or tensioner. Remember the cam belt is as important to your motor as having a car is to you. Hope this helps

are you talking timeing belt or serpientene belt on outside of engine.

I had the same truck, same color same everything..I was leaving working one night in the rain and crashed it...:( bought a honda civic after that and few years went by saw it for sale just down the street for 800.00!!! f**ck I wish so bad I bought it back!!!!!! It's my very favorite small truck!! Such a beauty!!!!! I kept mine mint! Waxed it with zymol twice a month! It was showroom condition!...now it's gone...:( I'd love to have another!!!!!! Those trucks were the best!!!!!

I'm having the same problem with my timing belt, replaced it because it seemed like it was starting to walk off the sprockets and into the front cover. Replaced the belt and tensioner, and this time its worse, basically walks itself off the sprockets immediately. So....I took everything apart again, loosened the tensioner bolt, and just to be sure it wasn't a failing spring I cranked on it even more than the spring was, opened it up to as close to the end of the slot as I could get it, and bolted the new tensioner down as hard as I could. Still walked right off the sprockets. Called someone and they think it might be the thrust bearings/washers in the crankcase are worn out, causing excessive endplay. If it isn't the spring its the only other thing I can think of