I have a 2004 chevy Monte Carlo SS. It keeps over heating

10

Asked by May 27, 2015 at 09:48 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

It had a clogged radiator. I flushed it with a water hose for over an hour. The water was
pretty clear when I stopped. I drove it from Macon to Savannah with no antifreeze. It did
not run hot. I flushed it be caused when I checked the radiator it was still muddy looking. I
actually flushed it twice with engine flush and twice with just water until the water was
clear. I then changed the thermostat. It still overheats, the temp gage goes from normal
to about 210, it never gets higher than that, I'm afraid to drive it far because I don't know
why it keeps getting hot, what do I do??

102,225

210 is just about where the radiator fans will turn on, I would suggest that you get it live scanned to see exactly how hot it really is and what the ECM is seeing. It is possible that the radiator flow may still be low.

10

Do you think it should be cheaper to buy a radiator, I found one on Amazon for around $80.00. Getting it scan sounds $$$. The auto shop of course go a run whatever test they think to get a profit if ithey do do a scan, what ever that consist of

102,225

If it is that cheap then it would be a good idea just because of the crud you got out of it in the first place. After you get it in and all of the air out, then watch the temp and when the cooling fans turn on and continue to watch until they turn off, all of this can be done at an idle, it just takes time. On is about 210 degrees , off is about 197 degrees. HTH

71,005

I wouldn't consider 210°F excessive in the summer with the air conditioning on. Your thermostat opens at 195°F. I would suggest replacing the radiator after you're sure that all the crud is out of the block. Once you've done that and got the air out of the system fill it up with a 50/50 mixture of water and antifreeze. Use either Dex-Cool, Havoline, or All Makes/All Models for the antifreeze. Nothing else. Then drive without the air conditioning on as a test. It'll probably run right around the 200°F mark, which is normal. With the air conditioning on, 210°F, as I said, isn't excessive. In fact, if you're stuck in traffic on a summer day with the air conditioning on, the gauge may creep up to 220°F. Under those conditions that'd be considered normal as well. HTH. -Jim

27,535

also have the temp checked at the inlet and outlet... this will tell you if the rad is removing the heat..use or buy a inexpensive( IR non contact thermometer)... ALSO..There is a bleeder screw by the water pump. Open it to let the air out of the system. Close it when coolant streams out of the bleeder screw.