03 Monte Carlo SS blower motor not working and no rear defroster

Asked by Mar 13, 2017 at 12:08 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

My blower motor is not blowing air form the vents
no matter what settings I use. Also the climate
controls buttons do not function when pressed and
my driver information center no longer displays. I
have checked the fuses they are not blown. I was
told to change the resistor which I intend to but
does that also power the climate control buttons?

7,495

The climate control has to have power to turn blower on. Check for voltage at the climate control, connector might be disconnected or loose. If no voltage present, trace back to fuse pannel. Don't replace resistor til u have voltage to the climate control.

Thanks I will check that. Would a multimeter be needed to detect the short or can I use a 12 volt test light? Not very experienced with electrical stuff but will YouTube how to use the devices.

7,495

Test light can tell u if there's voltage or not but if you need to check resistance later on, u'll need a multimeter. U'll need an electrical schematic for the heater blower system to be able to troubleshoot the system. For now just do a visual inspection to make sure there's no loose or disconnected wires

OK so I took the head unit out and the wires were still intact nothing burnt or disconnected. I did notice however that 2 of the lights stay on when the car is started but don’t do anything (AC button and button that lets air come in from outside). Not sure if that means that power is getting to the AC unit or not? I am unsure what the next step would be in this process. I have been looking for diagrams but have yet to find a site where I can access that information. Seems all the sites I have run across have advertisement buttons that are clearly malware if you click the download button. Anyhow I just need to know where to go next? Do I need to get a multi meter now or can I continue using a test light to find where the power stops?

7,495

Ok, check the fan control switch to see if there's voltage coming in and going out when you turn fan on. If there's power going out when you turn fan switch on, then the problem is the resistor or the fan motor. You need to get under the dash and find the motor, remove it and test for voltage there. Usually if resistor goes bad, blower can still work, but only in 1 speed, unless resistor is completely burnt then it won't work at all. You'll be able to see the resistor once u remove the blower motor

Ok so I removed the blower motor, tested it with a power source and ground and it works. I grounded my test light and probed the positive cable coming out of the resistor and the light did not come on. I then took off the resistor and tested the connecter that connects in to the resistor port , that is connect to the head unit I am assuming and the light came on in one of the ports but none of the others. I am guessing that other ports control the fan speed? So is it safe to assume that it is the resistor or do I need to use the multi meter for further testing? Oh and I did have the car in the on position for the testing.

7,495

If you got power coming into resistor and nothing going out, fan runs when connected to 12 vdc source. Replace resistor

Ok been awhile but here's my update.. There seems to be a shortage somewhere in the connectors the resistor and everything are fine. A few days ago my climate control just starting working. I noticed the driver information center also booted up when the climate controls worked. A few days later the climate controls stopped functioning again and the driver information center stopped at the same time. I have read its either a bad ground to battery a faulty bcm or the ignition control module from other forums. Not sure how to test to see which one or if it is either one at all.

The blower motor fuse gets it's power from the ignition switch. If the fuse does not have 12v check the orange wire from the ignition switch....if there is not 12v there,with the switch on, replace the switch.