should I get it fixed or trade in for new car

Asked by Feb 07, 2016 at 07:36 AM about the 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

hi i am trisha my 2003 monte carla temp gauge starting going up then down it would never get quite to the red I thought I neded to get it checked but then the car started smoking and stalled, had it towed and a mechanic said it was the coolant elbow he fixed it I got it the next day by the time I got it home the engine light came on and the temp gauge was dancing again. I took it back he said it is intake manifold he changed it 600 dollars.. he said all fixed I got the car again I did not even get 10 miles away and the car just died in the road. the machanic towed car again and now he says head gaskets I read that if it is head gaskets it is time for a new engine is he just bleeding me for money or is he not a true mechanic I mean he should not have given me the car back and said all fixed now if I pay for the head gaskets whats to say the engine is not already blown

Read more:

If you like the car and the rest of it is in nice shape, keep and fix. But I would find another mechanic. The one you are using is just replacing parts and hoping the issue fixes itself. Get a second opinion before you go ahead with the head gaskets.

Thank you for the answer I thought that would be the answer as i am original owner and car has only 1000000. miles but do you think engine is blown>

trade it- they are unreliable- and maybe that mechanic can have a confrontation with Instant Karma-

Only way to know is to perform a cylinder pressure test and or leak down test to determine if the headgaskets are the problem.