I have a 2003 ss Monte Carlo I've change the thermostat I've changed the radiator I check the coolant and it still runs hot with the temperature gauge have something to do with it?Or water pump?

Asked by Jul 11, 2015 at 03:32 PM about the 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

Is my next step water pump?

79,185

Sounds like you have air in the cooling system. Since it's an SS Model I'm assuming that you have the 3.8L V6? There's a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing. With the engine COLD open the bleeder screw and remove the radiator cap. Add coolant to the radiator until you get a steady stream of coolant from the opened bleeder screw. Now close the bleeder screw and fill the radiator to the very top. Replace the radiator cap and fill the plastic recovery tank about halfway or to the "cold" line on the tank. HTH. -Jim

30,945

also, when hot check the lower rad.hose to make sure it is not closing/collapsing ...how hot is it running in stop and go/steady cruse?

22,310

Do you feel as if it's over heating or are you just going by the temperature gauge. You may just have a bad sensor from engine block to temperature gauge giving you a false reading.

19,845

Firebird338 that was my first guess also. A twelve year old car is just about when the sensors go bad. If Steve can't tell by smell or sound that the car is over heating, than it just may be a bad reading on the gauge. If that was the issue, of a bad sensor, who told this person to spend all that money to put in a thermostat and radiator? Too bad he didn't ask here first, but then we don't know the condition of the radiator and if the thermostat was bad either. Kelly is correct in telling him to check 12 year old hoses. Mechanical things do wear down and go bad over time.