01 monte carlo overheating

90

Asked by Aug 30, 2016 at 09:31 AM about the 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS

My car is STILL overheating, I have replaced the
rad, testator, rad hoses, water pump, cooling
fan sensor, rad temp sensor, as well as flushed
the system. Does anyone have any
ideasuggestions? It's not blocked because it's
flowing freely. Doesn't show any signs of. Bad
head gaskets, I'm just clueless

32,655

when engine gets up to temp, do you see the cooling fan/s come on? It also wouldn't hurt to use Block Tester on coolant, to rule out head/intake gaskets (it checks for hydrocarbons in coolant)

90

The fans don't come on until the temp Guage is almost in the red, then they bring it down a little bit, not even to the halfway mark. Gm really screwed up the 3400.

90

I was thinking about just toggle switching the fans. But I don't know

60,735

Did you remove or replace the thermostat? Sometimes running them with out a thermostat will make engines run hot because the coolant flows through too fast to pick up enough heat.

90

Replaced. I tried running my old car without one in the winter, it ended up destroyed. So I refuse to do that again

32,655

Your fans should be coming on sooner. Did you replace the temp sending unit, which feeds the dash temp gauge, or the engine coolant temp (ECT) sensor, which tells the ECM when to turn the fans on? If you have an ohmmeter you can test it in a pan of hot water.

32,655

Another thought, an air pocket trapped against the temp sensor would keep it from functioning. Hot air is not enough to make it respond, needs to have contact with hot coolant. So you might still have a case of trapped air.

90

I forget what the sensors we replaced were called, one was on the radiator itself, and the other plugged in next to the thermostat housing. It screwed in

32,655

Here is a pic of where the ECT is on the 3.4L; You may also need to go rent a radiator pressure tester from a parts store. Pressurize the radiator and cooling system and listen for any signs of a leak or bubbling coolant around the gasket mating surfaces. Even a tiny gasket issue can be causing ongoing air pockets in the system and boiling coolant.

90

That's the one we replaced.

90

Do you think maybe wiring the fans to a toggle switch would help? Since they don't turn on until it's extremely hot? If I have manual control maybe it will fix it

So if it's leaking anti freeze n it's coming from the top it could be the etc needing to be checked

My car over heats n leaks anti freeze head gaskets were replaced already n thermostat