why is 2000 automatic monte carlo slipping when shifting into 2nd gear

75

Asked by Oct 06, 2014 at 09:46 PM about the 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

when I come to complete stop and step on gas it will slip when shifting into 2nd gear and then I lift off gas it will go but with major hesitation and then it will be fine, it doesn't do it every single time I stop, but a lot more lately.   I can't afford to go to dealership...pls help!

22,270

Check your transmission fluid level.

22,270

You have to check it running and warmed up. If it's brown and smells burnt get it flushed(I highly recommend BG). If its red like kool-aid and just low fill it up. However, the fluid is probably leaking out somewhere. Get it fixed or it will ruin the transmission down the road.

77,965

Most likely the 1-2 shift solenoid in the valve body assembly of the transmission is failing. Not a cheap fix! HTH. -Jim

22,270

Js08016 could be right but if the 1-2 shift solenoid was failing it will usually kick on the service engine soon light. Is there a S.E.L. on?

75

I had the fluid checked today and he said "not a great color - may need to replace transmission and he would do it for $900."!! Someone else thought it might be the throttle position sensor or transmission solenoid. Service engine light has not come on - yet. How do I check to know if it is the throttle position sensor or trans solenoid? I have a hard time getting people to be honest about it - I'm a girl and don't know jack and they know it!! Thanks for all the help...

22,270

Well that's not good. You can always get a second opinion from another REPUTABLE mechanic. The throttle position sensor won't make the transmission slip or slam into gear.

22,270

Just so you know $900 would be cheap to have a transmission rebuilt. Make sure you get that in writing if you end up going that route. Make sure there not just swapping your old transmission with a used one from a junkyard.

75

The $900 is his labor, I am to supply transmission. What about transmission solenoid - is there a way to check that? I may have to go dealership route even though it may be most expensive

22,270

Do not go to a dealership. All there gonna do is try selling you a new car or a brand new transmission. Go to a independent mechanic or a trusted transmission specialist. To replace the transmission solenoid you have to remove the trans from the car and open it up at that point you have it rebuilt and get a warranty with it.

77,965

A GOOD transmission shop will be able to plug into it with their scan tool and see what's going on. They'll also be able to "command" the transmission to shift using the scanner. How many miles are on this car and what engine do you have? If you're not sure about the engine, post the 8th character of the vehicle identification number. HTH. -Jim

22,270

Js08016 is correct. A 2000 monte is either going to have a 3.4 liter (3400) or a 3.8 liter (3800).