Battery or Alternator?

20

Asked by May 29, 2014 at 09:39 AM about the 2000 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS

I have a 2000 Chevy Monte SS and I'm having issues with either the battery or the alternator or the battery cables. When it first started having problems, I would try to start it and it would just click like the battery was dead, I could jiggle the battery cables and it would start up. Then it wouldn't even do that and I started having to get a jump if I didn't drive it every day (like on the weekends) if it sat for more than a day I would need to jump it. I assumed it was the battery and changed it last night. This morning on my way to work the battery dummy light came on, it never did that before, and my radio kept shutting off and coming back on (it is hard wired to the head light fuse, that's how I bought it). The person who had the car before me had a modified sound system and there are cables still attached to the alternator but the other end is taped with electrical tape. So I go to Advanced Auto to have my alternator tested and this is what it said: RESULTS Charge Required, Voltage: 12.15V Measured: 347 CCA, Rated: 650 CCA, Temperature: 95F, BATTERY CHARGE IS LOW AND MUST BE CHARGED TO DETERMINE CONDITION: Starter Test:  RESULTS: Cranking Normal, Voltage: 11.02V, Amps: 0.0A, Time: 3.51S. Charging System Test: RESULTS: LOW VOLTAGE No Load: 11.88V, Loaded: 11.50V, Max, Min, NO LOAD LOADED, .024V Ripple 46mV, -.024V. Charging system problem, check belts, connections and grounds alternator service recommended if connections are good.

So I'm wondering if I need to take those extra cables off that were left from the sound system or if it really is the alternator. It doesn't drain slowly and die or anything and when the radio shut off and came back on it didn't slowly shut off either.

PLEASE HELP!!
Brandy

145

I would get rid of all those wires that are taped off cause they don't seem to be doing anything and then I would wire the radio to the radio fuse in the fuse box just make sure its the right amp. It just sounds like you have a battery drain and I would bet it has to do with the wiring the last owner did.

Best Answer
20

Well, by the time I got home last night and parked my car, the battery was completely dead. I pop the hood and prepare to remove the extra cable attached to the alternator and to my horror, I see that the alternator cable that hooks to the battery is sitting on top of my engine... Now, had I changed the battery myself, that would not have happened. My roommate's boyfriend INSISTED on changing it for me (I guess cuz I'm a girl and not supposed to know how to do these things) never again lol. So I connect the alternator cable and my car starts right up... now, my next task is getting the radio wired correctly... I've never done that kind of thing before so it'll be an interesting leaning experience... Thanks for your input pathew!!

5

unhook the factory amp that is the prob. been there done it!