car running issues

10

Asked by Jul 10, 2016 at 10:24 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 2 Dr LS Coupe

Chevy Monte Carlo that cranks but won't stay
running. I recently changed the fuel pump & fuel
filter. I check the pressure pin on the injectors, the
fuel pressure regulator, cleaned the MAF but didn't
change the sensor, cleaned the the throttle sensor
also. Only way it stays running is if I use starter
fluid and I'm not using much of it at a time because
I don't want to mess anything else up from doing
so. Does anyone a clue what could be the reason
for my problem????

11,015

Whats the fuel pressure PSI at the fuel rail? IF, it runs on starting fluid its not getting FUEL. What DTC codes does it have?

17,290

Try adding some fuel injector cleaner to gas tank injectors just maybe dirty

10

Don't know the PSI level on the fuel rail, I just pushed the pin to see if fuel going through the injectors I suppose. I forgot to mention I did check for codes also and the computer read no codes. I checked this process several times

10

When I add the fuel injectors cleaner how long should I allow it to run with the starter fluid for the additives to reach the injectors????

17,290

Directions on bottle will tell you what you need to know it does not take long also may want to take vehicle on the road and hit the passing gear a few times this will help blow out the gum and carbon build up in injectors and cylinders.

10

Excuse my ignorance, but what actually is the passing gear!!!!!

17,290

Passing gear is like you are behind someone on a two lane road and you want to pass them press the gas pedal all the way to the floor until that extra gear kicks in.

17,290

And for how long ? just imagine you just passed the vehicle in front of you on that two lane road and you are in front of them and back in the right lane.

10

Okay, so I put the fuel injectors cleaner in the tank and crank the car with the starter fluid while holding the throttle to allow the additives to run through the injectors. Held the throttle for a while until the car stoppedal again. Tried to crank the car afterwards and still receiving the same results. What could it be now????

17,290

So you did not passing gear thing you and need to drive the vehicle not just rev it up in park.

10

I can't drive it because it won't stay running. That's the part I'm stuck at is keeping it running long enough to drive the car at least

10

It's impossible to put the car in drive then crank it with the starter fluid to drive off. Is there a way to get it running long enough to put the car into gear and drive????

17,290

Ok I got you now sounds like the fuel injectors are not working check the fuse box under the hood for a blown engine fuse or any fuse the is blown. You may end up going to parts store and rent or buy a noid light which will tell you if the fuel injectors are getting power.

17,290

Also remove hose going to fuel rail and stick the end of it in a bucket or something that will catch the gas that comes out and have someone turn key to the on postion a nice strong study stream of gas should shot out for about a second if nothing comes out check for a blown fuel pump fuse.

10

Ok, so it's been about a week since I last posted and unfortunately I still don't have my car running when it cranks. Did some trial and error and recently found out my PCV valve hose was not attached. I thought that would solve my problems but it didn't. Now when I crank it I'm allowed to tap on the gas several times and it stays on roughly but eventually cuts off. If I'm making any sense can someone please tell what this could be now???

17,290

Is your throttle electronic or cable ?

10

Cables I believe because different electric houses connect throughout the throttle

10

I was told it could possibly be the MAF sensor is bad. So before I spent money on something I didn't need to I bought some MAF sensor cleaner and follow all directions and that gave me no results at

10

I was told it could possibly be the MAF sensor is bad. So before I spent money on something I didn't need to I bought some MAF sensor cleaner and follow all directions and that gave me no results

17,290

Since you really do not know if throttle is electronic or not check in the owners manual if no manual go online and check to see if your vehicle has this fuse in it ETCS ( Electronic Throttle Control System) fuse. Check to see if it is blown.