Car started this morning then stalled after a couple minutes now won't start

Asked by Sep 16, 2014 at 09:45 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet Monte Carlo 2 Dr LS Coupe

33,385

Lots of things can cause that. Check the basics. Do you have spark. Do you have gas. Is there a CEL light on the dashboard on?

63,225

Agreed,,,we are blind,and can not see,you have to be our eye,s and ear,s,

33,385

Hey T_S_T good morning. What happened to your Crystal Ball? Mine is getting interfere from a typhoon that passed to the north of us.

63,225

Lmao,,mine,s a little foggy this morning,can,t quite see.

It's getting sparked just keeps turning over tune up or fuel pump

63,225

Fuel pump more than likely,if you have spark,may luck up and have inline fuel filter,check it before the pump.

Best Answer

Thanks

Ok not the fuel pump or battery could it be the crank sensor?

33,385

There's not much left. Give it a shot.

What else could be wrong just a chick don't know much but don't want to be taken for granted need some help

33,385

Before you had the problem, did you have any warning lights on the dashboard come on? Had it been acting up or did this happen out of the clear blue sky? Anything that you can think of will be helpful.

The check engine light has been on since I bought the car...lately it has been running alittle sluggish hope that's a word tries to start just keeps turning over

33,385

To bad you didn't get the codes read at AutoZone for free before it took a dump. The computer in the car stores the information that you need. Is there anyone that you know who has access to a automobile scanner? You can throw parts at it all day and spend a lot of money before you hit the problem.

I have no one the person who works on my car is up north I'm lost

33,385

Did you replace the Crank Position Sensor?

Not yet

Someone asked me about my gas cap if it isn't sealed properly could that be the problem

33,385

Yes. It might be. If it is the wrong cap the engine can't get fuel. By chance have you replace it lately? Is it missing? If it's not missing try removing it and see what happens. Let me know. I'll be awake for the next hour..(I live in the Philippines and its 9:45PM here.)

Do I try to start it with cap off it try to start but won't

33,385

GERRRRR :( Now back to the basics. Are you SURE you're getting spark?

It turns over just not enough to start that's why they thought it could be the crank sensor and my luck being what it is haven't heard back from him since Tuesday at a loss here since I can't start it to take it anywhere

33,385

The crank sensor sends a signal to the ignition and then the ignition sends a signal to the spark plugs. That's a simple explanation of what a crank sensor dose. BTW a crank sensor is also known as a cam position sensor. Can you have someone give you a jump start or charge the battery? Places like AutoZone and Advanced Auto Parts will do it for free if you can get it to them.

Battery is fine we tried to jump start it just turned over wouldn't start up

33,385

Did you get to check and see if you have spark?

I have spark just wont fire

33,385

And you are sure that you have fuel? Dose it fire for just a second then die,?

33,385

So what ever happened? Did you ever get home??