Can i replace my damaged internal voltage regulator

100

Asked by May 10, 2015 at 05:35 PM about the 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS FWD

my alternator went out on my 2005 Malibu maxx LS. after extensive testing and 1 month without a car I finally was able to get someone to say that my internal regulator had gone bad. all wiring and connections are in great shape. bench test the alternator would pass but fail on the car. charging system light( batt light) comes on when it wants too. but it does work. pigtail connector is carrying a full charge. PLEASE HELP I NEED AND ANSWER BEFOR EI MAKE A MISTAKE I HAVE ALREADY SPENT TO MUCH MONEY JUST GETTING IT TESTED AT PROFESSINAL SHOPS IN MY AREA

80,405

The voltage regulator is inside the alternator. I doubt that you can just buy the voltage regulator separately. You'll have to buy a rebuilt alternator and replace the whole alternator. Check with your local auto parts store or rockauto.com to be sure. The last voltage regulator I was able to replace was about 10 years ago on a '94 Ford Escort. Look at it this way. The alternator is probably original to the car. Other parts such as bearings, and diodes are worn too. By changing the whole unit you won't have to deal with it for a very long time. It'll be cheaper in the long run as well. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer Mark helpful
100

Thanks alot man I really need that good advice. I found a rebuilt alternator for 75 after a rebate. With a 1 year warranty. Rock auto has my particular alternator rebuilt for the same price as a brand new one from O'Reilly auto zone and advance auto.. TThis is the first forum I have ever been able to join for free and its the most helpful

100

Btw....this really is the best answer I have heard since I found the exact problem

80,405

You're welcome. Glad to help. Thank you for the kind words and the best answer click. -Jim