Key is stuck in the ignition

Asked by Dec 26, 2015 at 09:27 PM about the 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx 4 Dr LS Hatchback

My car turns off but it will not release my key. I'm
very confused as to why.  I tried moving the wheel
and key at the same time and I also drove it. I
cannot get it out..... and my door doesn't lock
because the key is in the ignition. HELP!!!!!

385

call a lock smith your ignition cylinder is damage.

68,465

Check with your local Chevy Dealer. Your Malibu may be involved in GMs most recent, widespread, ignition switch recall. In the mean time look at the bottom of the steering column right under the ignition. If you have a plastic plug there, remove it. Now insert a small screwdriver in the hole and push up. You should be able to turn the key the rest of the way to the lock position and remove it. This is an emergency release feature. HTH. -Jim

I'm having the same issue, but my ignition is in the dash, not in the steering column.

10

There is wires under the shifting knob down the shaft if the wire is broken or disconnected the key will not come out. This is a wiring issue. The key and ignition does not need to be replaced. remove your center console and you will see it.