What is this?
I'm having a problem with my 1994 Ford Ranger with a 4.0L V6 engine. I wasn't able to start my truck. I checked the battery voltage and found it was 10.6V. The water level in one of the cells of the battery was slightly low so I added some distilled water. I noticed that the part shown in the photo starts and stops. What is it and how do I fix it?
That is your A/C compressor, the turning on and off is usually normal unless the charge is low, then the compressor will start cycling about every 2 seconds then it need to be checked for leaks.
As far as your battery, it needs to be tested, then have your charging system checked.
10.6 volts at the battery, if the alternator is working properly means the battery likely has a dead cell. I would charge and test the battery.
Thanks for your quick replies. I got the car jump started then tested the battery with a multimeter while the engine was running and it showed 14.9 volts. Is there another way to test the battery than with a multimeter?
14.9 that looks like the battery is not accepting the charge. Yes there is other ways to test a battery, the best way is to have it load tested, most parts stores can do this free of charge.
14.9 volts means the alternator is charging. 14.9 volts is a little high which indicates the battery may not be accepting a charge (as Tennisshoes said) or you volt meter is a bit off. I am thinking a new battery is in your future.
Looking for a Used Ranger in your area?
CarGurus has 6,268 nationwide Ranger listings starting at $1,300.
Search Ford Ranger Questions
Ford Ranger Experts