When changing the starter on our 94 ford ranger XLT,6CYL 3.0L, what could the loud grinding noise be, if starter has been replaced @ least 3 times??

20

Asked by Jan 04, 2015 at 02:32 PM about the 1994 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab SB

we tried to start it after completion and it ,
made a horrific loud grinding, clacking noise.
We've replaced the starter 3 times due to it
becoming HOT. We're now stuck trying to figure
out whats the problem. We believe the starter
isn't releasing the flywheel like it should and it
keeps spinning making the starter hot. We now
dont know what to do next because its still
making the same noise. More info if needed.

First of all: i forgot to mention.  I went to
crankup one day and it wouldnt start, so my
fiancee bumped the.starter with a flathead
screwdriver and we drove it home. It made that
loud sound ALL the way home. After changing
starters left and right its still making that
noise...plz plz plz HELP!!!!

105,985

Might need to use shims when installing new starter. This will position starter farther from flywheel. Most new starters come with a shim kit. Did you notice if the first starter you removed had a shim behind it?

20

No. Bad choice i know...but we brought the first starter that went bad to pull apart and got a starter off of a Ford ranger there...that didnt work...then went to auto zone that one went bad. ..then got another starter feom auto zone that didnt do much good...so now we have a new starter from orielys and its still making that horrific noise.

105,985

Dang most Auto zone starters have a lifetime warranty.

20

Yeah we traded them out...only to still have the problem. My fiance put shims on the starter that didn't work. We the the flywheel that didn't do it...so now what. ..I'm thinking it has something to do with the starter not hitting right with the flywheel but what do you do for that problem. It cranks, we could drive it if we wanted to but the noise is soooo loud you can't hear yourself think...i can't drive it like that.

61,155

The starter drive to flywheel gear clearance should be .020 inch. Use a round feeler gauge to measure it. Remove the flywheel inspection cover and inspect the flywheel. Look for chipped, damaged, or broken teeth. If you find any, there's your problem. One last thing about the shim kits. To move the starter nose closer to the flywheel only use half the shim. You'll have to break it in half. There's a perforation on the shim for this. What about the starter solenoid? Have you checked that? HTH. -Jim

20

Yeah we changed it. It doesnt seem to be the problem. But we'll check it out and let you know. Thank you jim.

61,155

You're welcome, glad to help. -Jim