1994 ford pickup ranger no power hesitates no more than 45 miles and hour got home was smoking under hood thought it was going to catch on fire.

10

Asked by Aug 10, 2014 at 09:32 AM about the 1994 Ford Ranger STX Extended Cab SB

hello , have a 1994 ford ranger. check engine light stays on . had it in the shop replaced spark plugs wires air filter etc. Still hesitated at stop lights didn't want to run. they changed out fuel filter and pump. . the fuel gauge stop working. so they said probably bad fuel pump put a new one in. then after putting this in where you put your gas in truck found we had  cracks in the pipe so had it replaced. the gas gauge not working once again. Now get down the road truck does not want to run no more than 40 to 45 miles an hour. have to get home by that time truck was smoking under vehicle what is the problem with this truck ?

19,715

maybe a plugged catalytic converter- and find some mechanic who doesn't just GUESS what's wrong-

56,775

First, run away from this repair shop! They're throwing parts at it with no idea of how to fix it! The reason your gas gauge stopped working is because the sending unit is part of the fuel pump assembly. They probably broke the wire for it when they changed the fuel pump. They also had to remove the gas tank to change the fuel pump. That's why the filler tube got cracked. They broke it! Your truck is OBD I. Fords with OBD I are VERY hard to scan and pull (check engine light) trouble codes. Your local Ford Dealer MAY be able to do this. To pull the codes on your truck it's a very specific, very long procedure. I've personally tried to do it a few times and have never been successful! Good luck with this. HTH. -Jim

Best Answer
10

thank you so much for this information. we thought it might be the catalytic converter. could you answer this for me . I told the man at the shop my truck had a pcv he said it did not have one. I told him yes it did. When we took vehicle back in to get the new fuel filter put back on he said you know your truck does have a pcv. He said he took it out and cleaned it. Just wanted to know if your suppose to clean them. instead put a new one in? thank you so much for all the answers from both of you...

56,775

You're welcome, glad to help. Thank you for the best answer click. PCV valves can be cleaned with good old fashioned carburetor cleaner. But, honestly, why bother? They usually cost under $5.00 for a new one. The best way to check a PCV valve is to remove it and shake it. If it rattles, it's good. While you have the PCV valve off, check the vacuum hose that plugs into it. This hose should be clear and not cracked, soft, hard, or brittle. HTH. - Jim

205

Jim is pretty much right on. Also, depending on which engine it has, it should have an egr pressure differential sensor, and has two silicone hoses going to it from the metal tube to the egr. Should be able to pull ont loose, and connect a 10 pound pressure gage. Run engine, if you see over 2 or 3 pounds, converter has clogged. Any pressure over that shows its clogging up. Just a simple way to check the back pressure without crawling under.