Starts then dies.

Asked by May 27, 2016 at 07:20 PM about the 1994 Ford Probe SE

I just bought a 1994 probe with the 2.0 auto. I was told it was in need of a fuel
pump but I am also wondering about a flapper that is supposed to be part of
the intake system that could cause this problem as well. Also was wonder just
where about the fuse for up front for the fuel pump may be behind the bumper.
And I've looked and there's no access panel for changing the fuel pump. Any
links and info would be appreciated .

100,315

Do you mean the VAF meter? If so then yes, it will not turn on the fuel pump unless it senses a slight pull from the intake manafold, I have taken the cover off of a lot of these and found the circuit carboned up, cleaned the board with electric cleaner and then clean up the vane itself and make sure that it moves with just the slightest touch, put it back together and crank the engine over while watching the vane's pickup movement while cranking, it should move just slightly above where the fuel pump is activated, if not some of them have an adjustment that you can move slightly. There is no access plate, the fuel tank has to come out. I would not recommend doing it the way it was shown on you tube, the portion he was cutting out is part of the body's stiffening member. Fuel pump fuse will be in the main box and the relay in the relay box both under the hood. HTH

Thank you. The air box is one of the items I need to fix because it is missing the clips and not sealing. But that will be on my to do list. I bought this car with 166k on it and when it runs it runs smooth. That video on YouTube is stupid I would never do that to a car unless I was building a race car and then it would be more then that. I'm hoping that it don't cost to much and this is 150 bucks well spent on a commuter to the mine.