a/c clutch.

5

Asked by May 15, 2011 at 10:05 AM about the 1994 Ford Probe GT

I have a 94 probe gt the a/c clutch is going is it possible to replace the clutch only or should i replace the the whole unit.

you can replace the clutch,what makes you think its bad,if you can turn it over or spin it easely its ok,if it is kicking in and out while AC is on,it needs charging.

5

when a/c is on keeps going on and off and squels when a/c is off squels when car is started for about 2-3 min definitly coming from a/c unit

ok put a can of oil charge plus a can of R134a in it.know what else,if it squels when ac is off,try 2 more things,replace the serepitine belt,replace the idler wheel while belt is off.you dont have to remove the idler just the wheel,has a bolt in middle of it,the bearings go bad and squel.

5

already replaced belt and i replaced the bearings in the tension wheel pully squel is coming from pully on a/c very clear

3,045

It would be more beneficial to get a remanufactured AC compressor from your local parts house instead of just replacing the clutch, especially with the mileage and age of the vehicle. The problem with doing it at home is the evacuation of the refrigerant charge in the system. It is highly illegal to vent it into the atmosphere and if caught can be upwards of a $10,000 fine. You can take it to a shop, have them recover the system charge, replace it at home and then have them pull a vacuum on the system for 15 minutes and then fill it back to factory full.

There is one benefit to replacing just the clutch, and that is that the system remains sealed.