exhaust

5

Asked by Nov 25, 2010 at 09:55 AM about the 1993 Chevrolet Chevy Van 3 Dr G30 Cargo Van Extended

My  van with 85K miles will not pass emissions inspection. The inspector told me thats its the catilytic converter. Thinking of going with a Magnaflow. Any thoughts?

to pass emiss test,you will have to go with a factory one.relace the oxygen sensors .

5

I guess I'll go with the origonal, Magna Flow does say that theirs is 49 state legal and I'm in NY,but I don't want another head-ake. Thanks for the reply.

15

Well it could very well be the cat...could also be egr valve. What I suggest is; do tune-up, wires, plug's, cap, rotor, pvc valve. The pvc and egr valve will fail emissions test and make car look bad so check them first its cheaper. Oh don't forget O2 sensor. Good luck

8,215

usually a cat won't fail/collapse unless u ran the engine on a failed open thermostat like i did long ago; cold running engine. my current car is running on the original cat at 183k miles;kept it running at normal temps(198-205)!! i'm in Calif. the most stringent state too! ;p

5

Thanks everyone for your replys. Turns out the inspector punched in the wrong weight for my vehicle which is a 30 series and only needed an idle test. It passed with no problem.

glad to here that.