chevy vans

Asked by Mar 24, 2016 at 05:40 PM about the 1993 Chevrolet Chevy Van 3 Dr G20 Cargo Van

My chevy van g20 dies when I put it in gear

92,555

If it dies in both forward and reverse it could be a locked up torque converter

It started I backed out my drive put it in to drive an it died

I have changed the distributor cap pluges wires egr tps

1,700

Could be an idle control valve.

92,555

Clean the throttle body and Idle Speed Control unit, as you have replced some of the engine management devices then disconnect a battery cable, positive or negative it doesn't matter, turn on the headlight switch for at least 30 seconds, then turn off the headlight switch, reconnect the battery cable, set the park brake and block the wheels just too be safe, start the engine and put in drive, turn on all electrical, lights, fan blower etc. Let idle stabilize then shut everything off and shut down the engine. If the idle won't stabilize or keeps dying, then there could be a failure in the Idle Speed Control Motor. A code check could verify that. Unless there is an actual transmission problem.