My Van fuel injectors not spraying gas

chevyvang30
0

Asked by Nov 08, 2012 at 06:18 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet Chevy Van 3 Dr G30 Cargo Van

I bought this van in Canada and have driven it to Guatemala where I am currently stuck. I replace the fuel pump in Belize some 300 miles ago. I had the timing set in Belize, replaced spark plugs cap and rotor. The van seemed to be running fine. When I got to Guatemala and tried to leave the car started then as I put the car in drive it went  20 feet then stopped. I tried restarting and to no luck. I checked the fuel pump, it sounded fine. I checked the fuel injectors, not spraying fuel, however had steady power and were clean. Gas was getting to them, just not spraying through them.  After looking around online I checked the fuel injection module, it was cleaned by a guy in Belize as part of a servicing. It seemed that there was no grease on the bottom of the fuel injection module, and I assumed that this was the problem. I found one in Guatemal city with a local mechanic I have been working with. We installed the new fuel injection module and the van started, however when we pumped the gas the fuel injectors stopped firing. When I let it idle it sprayed a few more times then stopped. The van then stopped running and we couldnt get it strarted again. So we got a whole new, well used fuel injection sytem from Guatemala city, they never turned the car on. We then tried plugging in another ECM someone had given me from probably v6 chevy. With the key in the on position my mechanic plugged one of the two pluggs together and  the fuel injectors on the left side started spraying gas in the typical pulse fashion, then the ECM started smoking, still only having on of the two pluggs plugged in.
I am currently looking for another engine control module, but I am feeling that it couldd also be the tps sensor. Any thoughts?

28,985

The battery is supposed to be disconnected when plugging and unplugging any type of electronic control module, it also needs to be plugged in fully before the electricity is put to it or you take a very likely risk of a voltage spike ruining the module. You say that the injectors are firing while you're cranking the engine but they quit when the vehicle starts up? You say fuel injection module and I'm not certain as to what you're referring to. Its throttle body injection correct? What is the fuel pressure and what is the resistance of the injectors. If the injectors have fuel pressure on them and they are getting a pulse and not opening then I would have to say the injectors are bad.

999Tom999
10

Also replaced fuel pump, drove about ten miles when it quit. No fuel thru inj's. Replaced f/p relay, then inj cont mod, then brain. FINALLY decided to apply power to f/p @ connector near rear end, pass side. Nothing. Dropped tank & found connector at pump was not pushed "home" I trusted the mechanic that replaced f/p too much! After pushinf conn @ f/p allthe way in & putting tank back it runs SWEET. I would apply pos & neg @ connector, gray pos, blk grnd & see if f/p even comes on. If not the tank has to come out. GOOD LUCK, hope this helps. treeves@gte.net

999Tom999
10

Oops! Mine is a '91 g 20 w/a 350 but the fuel sys is the same, as are color codes & conn locations. again, GOOD LUCK!! know what its like, I was stuck in Chetumal, MX...........