I am buying a 1977 Chevy Cobra Conversion Van.

Asked by Nov 14, 2013 at 12:05 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet Chevy Van 3 Dr G30 Cargo Van

Has been sitting for more than 10 years but runs and shows little sign of extreme damage. First, what type of maintenance would I need to do to clean it of years of sitting? Second, Would you buy this van if it worked but has been sitting for probably close to 20 years?

217,315

Sitting for 20 years and it runs? Wow. Be prepared to go through the vehicle top to bottom. Lots of seals and rubber will need to be replaced. Do you have time and money to put into this vehicle to get it back in top top shape? Are you doing the work yourself? If not, I don't know. You'll probably spend more $$$ fixing it up than what it is worth?

Best Answer

Well with the help of others, I have friends all over the place such as construction, mechanics, etc. I am viewing it as a project and the more I think about it, the vans gonna have to be entirely gutted and revamps. Cosmetically I figured I could do t but mechanically I will have to look for help. I figured that with it being so old and a Chevy, parts could be easy to come by? Probably not tip top for a while but running and looking good is something I could manage. You bring up a valid concern about it running now but not later. Thanks for your help!

If I were to buy it, what would be the first steps to cleaning it out. I m taking like radiator flush, oil change, etc. anything I should really consider?

217,315

Read through this post, it has all the basics for getting an old vehicle back on the road.....http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=114743