My 1990 Chevy van would not start.

Asked by Feb 15, 2016 at 05:44 PM about the 1990 Chevrolet Chevy Van 3 Dr G20 Cargo Van

My brother & I own a 1990 Chevy conversion van We get it jump started. It
runs.The next day the battery is  dead.We take it to get check the battery is
fine, It gets charged 4 HRS. Runs OK. Next day battery is dead. We get an
alternator, It runs for a few months.Then it dies again. We get it jump
started it runs next day dead. We keep replacing  the battery. Same thing.
Now when it is cold out it would not run.If I have to go to work when it is
cold out or snowy that van has to go to work too. When we have the van
checked out the starter is checked too.PLEASE HELP?  Patricia

26,115

is there a draw when sitting...first replace the battery and check back here...

4,955

Something is drawing current from your battery and you need to find out what so it can be repaired. You might try putting an amp meter in line with your positive battery terminal and seeing how much it shows is being drawn. After you confirm the draw, begin pulling fuses one by one until it stops. That will identify the circuit causing the problem. Now you will need to determine what on that circuit is causing the problem. Good luck, it can be a difficult thing to troubleshoot.

I had a battery cable on one of my older vehicles that went bad and kept doing that to any battery (even a brand new, fully charged battery) that I put into it. Mechanic discovered a bad battery cable. He replaced the bad battery cable, and I haven't had a problem with it since then. Good luck.