aveo alternator bearings going out after serpentnie belt tensioner replacement.

10

Asked by Oct 26, 2015 at 12:56 PM about the 2006 Chevrolet Aveo LS

I replaced the alternator and belt tensioner and belt on a 2006 aveo.
After two  weeks the alternator went bad and was squealing.   I put a new
alternator on it  and the new one started squealing in about an hour.
Is there a tension adjustment on the belt tensioner?

495

Just to be more inquisitive here: WHAT IS squealing here? The alternator bearings? The serpentine belt? I bet it's the belt and with the previous history you have with alternater/belt noise, I'd check out that tensioner first. The coil springs in them die after a while and won't hold the serpentine belt tight enough.

69,595

If you have replaced the tentioner and the alternator,could be bad idler tentioner you just replaced as JPV said above,or my guess would be the belt it self if you did not replace it with new one,meaning streched.

10

new serpentine belt. New tensioner , new alternator --Alternator pulley squealing alt failed after two weeks. got a new one. Second one is doing the same thing...

69,595

Ok,good to know the facts Mr bliss,if it is eating the bearings and you has done this twice all ready,this means the belt is to tite,check the idler tentioner again,i know you said it is new,but it is what keeps the belt tite,and not to tite,

69,595

With the car running ,have some one rev engine while waching the idler,it should move back and fourth between reving engine,if it sets still it is not doing its job right.

10

Someone mentioned that there might be too much electrical load on the alternator causing too much load on the belt and alternator bearings.. ANy one had experience on that?

495

Serpentine belts don't usually have a problem with stretching like the older "vee" types have. Their biggest downfall is coolant contamination. I chased a leak I didn't know I had after my belt told me I had a tiny leak on a 2000 AstroVan 4.3 V6, by squealing pretty much when there was a high electrical load on the alternative ..... like right after start-up. If all things check out good, change the belt again.

10

Stretching would lessen the load and should not cause the alternator bearings to go bad. No Antifreeze leaks. First alternator went out because the belt tensioner spring broke and the alternator bearings rusted up (from not spinning). Second alternator lasted two weeks then started squealing and stopped working. Third alternator started squealing after one hour.