'94 Astro Died on the Freeway, won't start. Alternator trouble?

Asked by May 26, 2011 at 10:03 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet Astro Cargo Van 3 Dr STD AWD Cargo Van Extended

The engine died while I was driving, and I can't start it.  It turns over, the air filter looks good, there's fuel in the tank.

Should I be looking at the alternator?  What should be my troubleshooting steps?

12,005

If the engine turns attempting to start its not the alternator or battery. The gas tank coul dbe full but is it getting from point A ( Tank ) to point B (Engine) Sound like a fuel pump problem. When you turn the key onto ON but NOT START you should here a buzzing over your right shoulder for about three seconds - If you do not PUMP is dead.

5

The same thing here. My Astro died while running and had to tow it home. The fuel pump is activating and there is gas present at the fuel valve. I can't start it.