What is causing occasional slipping and or hard shifting in Transmission?

Asked by May 26, 2014 at 09:50 PM about the 1994 Ford Mustang Convertible

Occasional slipping and hard shifts with Transmission. Fluid levels are good and fluid is
clean. I had the fluid and filter changed about 8 months ago. I have not put any
additives in the Tranny. No leaks. Find that it does it more when tranny is warm or hot.
What is causing this and what can I do to resolve it and/or fix it? It may go for a while
and not do it or it may happen often. Never know when it will happen. Want to remedy
because I love my car.

9,865

What makes a transmission slip usually is pump is bad not cerculating fluid to the bands or filter stopped up.Remedy,and additive would not hurt at this point i think i would try a bottle of lucas in it,it will help clear lines and filter,may help ,,

26,275

Pump indeed. It's an old car. Additives like Lucas - or Brake Fluid - will cause the Nitrite seals to soften and swell - for a while. Then it will turn the seals to mush - not right away - but it will. See about taking it to a Transmission shop and having it properly diagnosed. Expect to pay 1 hour labor for a proper diagnosis. The seals within the Transmission get old and hard over time. Honestly - there is no reason to change a Transmission filter - if there's debris in it - it's destroyed anyway. A complete fluid change between 60,000 and 100,000 miles - yes (14 to 16 quarts). One consideration is a remanufactured Transmission. Ford (and I'm sure some competitors too) have reman transmission for right around $1800 with a terrific parts and labor warranty. Sounds like a lot of money? It's only about 5 car payments of a new car.

195

Take the pan off again and look to see if there's a lot of metal shavings if so the tranny is on its way out if not try researching the shift solenoids or the tcc shift solenoid its called a torque converter clutch solenoid

26,275

Wad up three $100 bills and shove them down the filler tube - same effect.

Right. For all the parts I had to replace, I could have bought another car. I guess next time I buy a BMW or a Porsche.

I have the same car with the same exact problem! Did you ever find out what was wrong? I'd be curious to know because I've had a few mechanics look at mine and they can't seem to figure out what's causing it.

I guess I will try the Liqui Molly automatic transmission repair fluid when I get hold of it. Let's see what it does.