Does anyone know how reliable 94 4wd xlt's with OD are?

75

Asked by Dec 06, 2010 at 01:10 PM about the 1994 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

I am looking at buying A 94 Explorer XLT with 4.0 and OD I know at 1st few years of OD Fords had all kinds of problems but do not remember the years. Can anyone give me some feed back?

as with any used vehicle you are going to have a few bugs in it,true they had their problems and still do,at buying a used one from a indivuital,check it out test drive it try the 4x4,check front tires for weare inside,outside,look under it fro dry caked on mud,check under hood for cut or taped up wires oil leaks on motor,check oil leval same with tranny,smell the fluid on tranny dipstick to see if it has a burnt smell to it.ask questions,like maintance.look at engine comparment if it looks to clean beware of it.everything has to do with how it was maintained

75

So very true! I have used the very same test on every car I every thought of buying as we all know when you buy something used you tend to buy someone Else's problems so to speak. I was mostly looking at if this was one of the years that had a lot of known issues. As this one like all the ones I try to find has original owner and a lot of repair receipts from repair and oil changes as this person must of taken it in at every squeak or hint of trouble. (I love to find these ones cause you know it was well taken care of as well as waxed and parked in garage)

their you go,that is what you want.is this one in the pic the one you bought,the blue one.

145

The things to watch out for on the pre-'95 explorers are bad trannys the transmissions themselves like to die and the flex-plates like to break for no reason. Always make sure the catalytic convertors are clear and working correctly because these also had a tendency to clog and blow head gaskets. The manuals are a better truck if you want to stay away from the transmission issues.

75

Yes it's green with some rust around the gas tube. Here's another pic of the front

hope it serves you well,just keep up mantaince,it should last you a good while.

75

Thank you very much for all the very useful help. I know of no other place to be so well informed! Thank you Cello

1,115

The intake gaskets are prone to go on the 4.0 litres as well, make sure you change the coolant before it gets too acidic. The OD trannys were bad up until they were replaced by the 5-speed OD ones, probably mid 2000s.