Good, Better, Best... Which trans filter/gasket kit is best???

55

Asked by Aug 14, 2012 at 01:58 AM about the 1991 Chevrolet Astro Cargo Van 3 Dr STD Cargo Van

I'm planning to change the transmission fluid in my 1995 Chevrolet Astro Van. I already have GM's latest Dexron VI transmission fluid (only the best for my baby).  :)
Is there a difference between brands of trans filter pan gasket?
An inquiring mind wants to know.
Thank you for looking.

AmmoGuy 8-)
Aim small, miss small.

7,555

normally i'd use GM OEM parts.. if i couldn't, fel-pro gaskets or go to a Napa auto store. once i got a unknown brand and it fell apart in just a week.

13,115

Also remember to not over torque the pan gaskets. Any brand will fail if over torqued. Tighten them according to the info that came with the gasket or that is in the manual. Then a month later recheck them. (Usually around 10-12 ft lbs).

55

Thanks for the input! The brand I've decided to use is ATP. This process jogged my memory. A friend, retired Chrysler transmission specialist, rebuilt the transmission in my prior van (96 Caravan). I said I didn't mind paying more up front for better stuff. He always used ATP. Unless someone has a better idea I'll go ahead with ATP. Again for the help and advice. Ammo Guy 8-) Aim small, miss small.