Transmission overheating

10

Asked by Mar 05, 2010 at 07:30 PM about the 1994 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT SUV

94 Expl 4 dr 2WD XLT 115k miles
I recently towed a 2400lb boat about 40 miles. The transmission overheated & blew all the trans fluid out - thought I had seized it completely BUT NO! I filled it with new fluid (8 quarts and drives better than before. I then pulled a mini trailer with hot tub on it - probaly less than 500lbs about 20 miles & trans fluid was bubbling again. I do not wish to repeat this experience. I am told, by a reliable  transmission shop, that this is a common problem with this vehicle because the trans fluid cooler gets clogged very easily.
1. Is it worth trying to unclog the existing cooler or should I find an aftermarket one? I have larger/heavier boats too that I want to transport locally.
2. Any recommendations on replacement trans fluid coolers?
3. What else can I do to reduce the pressure on trans while towing? Eg. would servicing the diff or anything else help? I am replacing the entire brake system - rotors, calipers, pads, etc for safety anyway.

695

for towing like you said you will be doing.. i would DEFINATELY go with a bigger cooler.. automatics are known for heating up more quickly under a load

92,645

If your serious about keeping you tranny cooler there is an aftermarket trans cooler that has an electric fan on it. I would redo the trans cooler lines out of the radiator and just go with the good cooler in the system. Lubeguard makes some very good transmission additives for heavy hauling, might put some of that in also but make sure it is for Ford transmissions.