How do I open the hood to jump a dead battery when I can't open the doors because their electronic?

Asked by May 02, 2014 at 10:01 AM about the 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

The car is all electronic. It's locked up and I
can't get into it. Even the FOB isn't doing

Corvettes are cool except for the "all electric/computer" thing- which means, in my book, they are not cool AT ALL- but that's just me, I'm old school- now, this problem actually works out to your benefit- you have no business trying to JUMPSTART an expensive, complicated piece of machinery like that- using jumper cables is an act of desperation, of last resort- it can mess up complicated electronic components in your car- and cost you lots of money- not always, but why take the chance? Your car is meant to be serviced by experts, so call triple A, get it towed to the dealer, and quit tryin' to mess around under the hood- that is a 150 MPH machine, and is NOT meant to be owner serviced- the high price of bein' cool-

Robert Loszewski

Source: From outside the vehicle, use the key in the cylinder above the license plate to open the hatch the use the door release tab located on the carpet inside the trunk on the driver’s side of the vehicle. Pull the tab to unlock and unlatch the driver’s door......"

Best Answer

Nh Lifter, You were so right. There was a hidden key hole above the license plate. One of the keys on my late husbands keyring fit it.Just like you said, there was a tab on the left that opens the drivers side door. THANK YOU SO MUCH. God bless

Don't listen to people who comment on here but have absolutely no idea what a Corvette looks like, let alone how to operate one. Even a brand new one has instructions in it's owners manual on how to jump start the car. jamnblues... Stay off the Corvette forum if you don't know about the subject. Telling a guy he will ruin his car by jumpstarting it. What do you think the dealer does?

Jamnblues, it's tough to be as cool in a Corvette as you were in your Yugos and Geo Metro. Tell us about how you are "Old School"

Just so you all know. I'm not a guy, I'm a woman who just a few months ago lost her husband. I'm having a hard time with the loss of my husband and I would appreciate only nice things to be said here. The cars were always taken care of by him therefore I now am learning, the hard way. Jamnblues, your comments are not helpful, they are hurtful. You should be ashamed of your posts. Not everyone that asks for help on this site has a great life. I wasn't trying to brag about the car I have, I was trying to figure out how to get into it after the electronic doors locked me out when the battery died. That was it. Jamnblues, please stop with your posts.

Jamnblues, Your first response to me was not helpful, it was disrespectful by telling me to not mess around under the hood of the car to save money so I could look cool driving around in it. FYI, the reason the battery died is because I DON'T drive it enough! NH Lifter gave me the information I needed to get into the car so I could open the hood and get assistance from AAA. Since Steve had a passion for cars, I now need to care for them until I'm able to sale them. I'm not able to keep up with the insurance on 3 vehicles and obviously not well educated on the maintenance of them either. If anyone is interested in buying a 2006 convertable Corvette or 1980 Porsche 911, I'm looking to sale them. I live in So. Cal. and if anyone is interested in either car, please message me. Thank you and God bless

allforphun... If you haven't had any luck yet, try corvetteforum dot com. You will find help there from mostly just Corvette people.

Thank you Sarge_AZ, NH Lifter gave me the details to get into the car a few weeks ago and the issue has been resolved.

Cool. Glad to hear it.

Sara Hendrix

I am in the same situation as you, allforphun. My condolences on the loss of your husband. My husband died this past May. I agree that Jamnblues comments were offensive and not helpful. It is a slow learning curve for us widows (or widowers) when faced with problems like this. I have found videos on You Tube to be helpful, plus I am blessed to have my husband's friends (all Corvette owners) to help me in time of need. Bless you.