my 2006 Toyota Corolla won't start, its sounds like it will but then won't

Asked by Mar 20, 2013 at 06:12 PM about the 2006 Toyota Corolla CE

It turns over and sound like its going to start but then doesnt catch...I had no problems before parked it for a few hrs, and when I got back it did this..I had to have it towed. Please help

James Ramond

security system shutting you down? new key,? need reset? maybe or just a simple fuel problem ,though not so simple,start with a splash of fuel in air horn, if revs up for 2 seconds,yep fuel delivery,pump relay or filter or pump itself .try a start,this may be an intermittent ! the biggest start.good! hammer on tank with hammer some try start. no start. lock and unlock doors,no start ,pump relay , replace or switch with other ones in box or bench test.

It's not the security system or key re set.. It would not crank over if it was, other than that jimmy pretty much has it covered.

scelest, create an account at: ~~~have your VIN number ready. It is specific to your car and has manuals, service records on your car, all sorts of good stuff

A lot of no start problems with later model cars can be related to a over fueling issue. The main cause can be if the car is started moved a very short distance ie driveway into garage and then turned off. The next time you get in to start, it will crank over but not start.Sometimes if you have a keen ear the engine may sound like it has no compression. Same type of sound when you have a broken timing belt. Now the remedy, hold the throttle fully down to the floor the computer will now put the system into flood mode and will stop any more fuel being injected into the engine. Crank the engine whilst still holding the accelerator to the floor you may get a few coughs and sputters and then it should start. If you kept trying to start it prior to holding your foot flat down there is the possibility you may need to remove the spark plugs and dry them off. It can also help while the plugs are out to add a few drops of oil into the cylinders. Robbo

Amazing car_man Robbo! I was prepared to remove the battery, check the spark plug wires, get some starting fluid and even (try to) replace the fuel pump. Some of these may have, in the long run, caused more damage than good, particularly with my mechanical acumen. I read this response, pushed the pedal to the metal (carpet) for about 15 seconds, then started the car. It belched out a cloud of gray smoke, and runs like a top! Yesterday, I moved my car about 10 feet in the driveway. After that, no start. Thank you so much! @bigharrydaddy

Rebecca Burton

Thank you, this worked! I canceled the roadside assistance and got confirmation from the garage that this was likely the problem. Thanks again!