Transmission seal keeps breaking

30

Asked by Aug 27, 2016 at 11:05 PM about the 1994 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XL SUV

Ok so this now the third transmission we've put in
with brand new seals gaskets and filters and this
is third seal that has busted. Could something else  
be causing these seals to bust? I have a 94' ford
expoler BTW automatic transmission 4.0 v6

17,955

Hmm, 3rd transmission you say, I think you've answered your own question....why do you still have this vehicle?

30

Idk the original one the front seal busted so we put another one in and didn't change those seals because we had never done this before and the front seal busted on it so we got another one and changed EVERYTHING and now the front seal on this one busted.

90,635

I doubt it is a transmission problem by now, has anyone checked the engine for possible harmonic vibrations or crankshaft excessive in/out movements? Has the torque converter been changed out or has it been just transferred in to the new transmissions? I did see this once on a Mustang that had an improperly balanced torque converter.

17,955

tennisshoes-. OK,. Good question, but, you would have liked to think that a professional mechanic would have noticed that by now? I don't think, maybe I'm wrong, but, doesn't sound like the original poster installed their own replacement transmission? Finally, this is a 1994 vehicle, don't you think it's time for retirement?

90,635

I don't not know about that, it is starting to look like if the diagnostic machine says it is good they just quit looking, no one wants to be bothered with the hard problems anymore, they only want to SOG.

90,635

As far as retiring a vehicle, I've seen 94s in better shape than some 2014's in my area. It all depends on the vehicles overall condition, not the age.

17,955

Maybe so, but, it's still a 22 years old.... Yes, it's all about condition. And, a car that has had three transmissions doesn't sound good.

30

Ok well I can't afford a new vehicle at the moment or obviously I would have one. And as far as a professional shop I also cannot afford a shop so its all ameture mechanic work here. And damn right just because its 94' doesn't mean its shit. This vehicle was very well kept and everything is mint condition except this transmission issue.

30

I don't think its a transmission problem either something else is causing these seals to break but what could it be?

90,635

So your doing the work yourself, grab onto the engines vibration damper and see if you can get any movement fore and aft. Was the torque ever replaced?

44,475

If it is the front pump seal perhaps a groove is worn into the torque converter causing it to eat the seals. Also, are you putting the seal in backwards? It is pretty obvious you are long past your experience level with transmission repairs and probably should get some experienced assistance.

30

CANT AFFORD PROFFESSIONAL REAPAIR. I had someone tell me its because of the way we put the transmission in......

17,955

Damselindistress123-. Dear Damsel,. If I were you, I'd look for an alternative vehicle to lease that gets better mileage and give up on trying to save a vehicle that is almost 23 years old. I'm sure some others might disagree with this, but, the ravages of TIME and the breakdown of precise tolerances that once existed in a 1994 car are now gone and no matter what you do, except for a complete replacement of too many parts, too expensive, and not worth it... You will be coming back to this issue, which is WHY I suggested vehicle retirement... There are many really inexpensive vehicles available for lease...and spending good money after bad trying to save a car that is obviously failing is not a good financial decision. Look, if you occasionally need a large vehicle, rent one.. it's the same advice I offered to my stepson who has an aging and failing 2002 GMC truck. If you live in a state with a temperate climate, you must know that the snow, salted roads and highways are terribly hard on vehicles. I know it's hard to hear, and I have been a big believer in fine used vehicles, my last car was a 1995 Honda Accord EX, had it for almost 20 years... but, you have to realize that there's a time to say goodbye... Good luck.

Best Answer
30

Ok soooo does anybody know what could cause a front transmission seal to keep breaking. Seal broke in the first one then put in another and the seal broke in tht one then put in another and the seal just broke in it. And every time its happens its when I drive it over 50mph or so. They always did fine until that.

17,955

Damselindistress123-. Sure, it could be the way it's being installed? Or, it could as I stated above, a tolerance on the unit that is just plain worn out. If it's worn beyond standard tolerances, it will fail every time....you can't keep it under 50mph or keep replacing it... that's not working.. please tell me, HOW MANY miles are on your 1994....did you purchase it new?

30

No sir got it a couple of years ago. Not sure about mileage I'd have to go look. But the engine itself is in perfect shape. Everything about the truck is in great shape really.

30

Obviously something about the truck is causing these seals to break what the hell could do that

44,475

Depending on how your are seating the torque converter to the flexplate, this video may help.....https://www.youtube.com/watch? v=5TsAYGfUxxQ

30

I can't click on the link

44,475

You have to copy and paste it.

17,955

Link didn't work for me either, try this, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYgOI2KZ95k

17,955

Damselindistress123 - OK, two years, understood. I don't know how much you paid and how many miles you've driven... that would tell you how much you paid per mile.... plus any repairs. How do you know the engine is in such great shape? Also, see this, http://www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Explorer/1994/

17,955

Damselindistress123- Overall, I would probably give this ONE MORE TRY if you must, but, if it happens again, I would bail. And, remember, something this old does NOT have the safety features of a newer vehicle. How much is your safety worth??

30

I got the link. None of that matters mark. I do not have any other options at the moment besides to fix wht I got. If its fixable. If not then I just won't have a vehicle period.

44,475

Not very much of what Mark1952 aka Mark O. Weiner posts matters.

30

Ok yup 99.9% sure the torche converter wasn't in right and it pinched the seal. Soooo here we go again gonna pull it back out replace the seal and I got someone that's going to come and make sure the torche converter is put on correctly. The for the help guys :)