What makes a 1994 ford escort shut off while running and will not start?

70

Asked by Oct 19, 2013 at 06:41 AM about the 1994 Ford Escort 4 Dr LX Sedan

The car shut off while running and will not start

222,885

Daren, many things can cause this. Do you have any light lit up on the dash that shouldn't be?

70

Yes ones says Fuel Cut out or something like that.

222,885

There is a safety cut-off switch that stops the fuel pump. It is sensitive to shock,and will shut the fuel off in the event of an accident. On top of the switch is a button, usually red, and you press it to reset the valve. It should be located in the trunk of the car and you will need to pull the inner panels off to access it. It might be marked "fuel cut-off reset switch".

70

Yeah I found it, i tried to press the red button it wouldn't press down.

222,885

It doesn't go "down" per se. Unplug it and reconnect. You might have a problem with the wiring or fuses. This link will help further. ..http://www.2carpros.com/questions/ford-probe-1994-ford-probe-fuel-cutoff-light-on-can-hear-pump-running

70

OK thanks. I'll try the link, I think it may be the fuel pump, because I can't hear it running. What do you think?

222,885

If you don't here it prime, then I'd said the pump is bad, but there are ways you can probe the wiring to tell if the wiring is shorting out. Google it.

305

Like he said I've seen the fuel pump just stop until it cooled off and then start working again so that the car would run. Also you could have a fuel pump fuse or fuel pump relay whose contacts are corroded or have worked their way out. More things to check as there are many links in the chain that will put you on the side of the road.

135

i had the same problem with my 94 wagon. the people who owned it before me had replaced the fuel pump. it is most likely the inertia switch located on the rear wheel well. the reset button should be all the way down. mine was,but still kept stalling especially around corners and over bumps. It is not recommended that any safety feature in a car be disabled. However I also know that desperate times call for desperate measures, i bypassed the switch, it no longer dies going around corners hard stops or bumps. many an escort has found its way to the junk heap because of this one faulty switch.my switch is on the pass side and in wagons its easier to take the speaker cover off

135

sound like a dirty egr valve or related components. try cleaning the valve and in the process,check for vac, leaks,especially the one coming from the vapor canister to the bottom of the throttle body. its two hard to see locations so you may need a mirror or to remove a shroud to see, or blow smoke into the line from your brake booster

Already did that an clean sparks plugs in an out chk fuse an still don't start Please help me what could be the problem

Sorry I have a problem w my 97 ford escort replace heater core an now it won't start