I drive a Toyota camry xle 2007. Recently i hit a side of a side walk and d tire got damaged and rim bruised. i changed the tire and noticed the car was swerving to one side so i did the alignment but the car still gradually drifts to the right while in motion. i have tried the alignment at different places but its still d same and i have now be made to understand that the alignment is fine and somthing else must be wrong maybe from the sidewalk incident. please advice what else could make the car to drift/swerve when in motion. Thanks

20

Asked by Oct 21, 2013 at 07:54 PM about the 2007 Toyota Camry XLE V6

I drive a Toyota camry xle 2007. Recently i hit the side of a side walk and d tire got
damaged and rim bruised. i changed the tire and noticed the car was swerving to one
side so i did the alignment but the car still gradually drifts to the right while in motion. i
have tried the alignment at different places but its still d same and i have now be made
to understand that the alignment is fine and somthing else must be wrong maybe from
the sidewalk incident. please advice what else could make the car to drift/swerve when
in motion. Thanks

293,245

Before you get crazy, is the new tire on the front where you hit the curb? Reason I say that, is new tires should usually go on the back. If the tread is deeper than the others, it might pull to that side. Rotate the tires and see if the drifting goes away. Then if it still there you can have the the front suspension components checked. Something might be bent, but alignment of the wheels is fine. Then take it over to a body shop they have the correct equipment and tell them what you told us.

11,615

Most places that do alignments just take your money. They have no respect. I have never had a allignment go good. I do it myself now. Rant over. Do you have a jack? Try jacking up the front of your car and checking a few things. Check for play in your tie rods on your steering. Inspect the ball joints and a-arm pivots (shake the wheel while jacked up) there should be no play. Turn the wheels from lock to lock with weight on the suspension (jack on the a-arm) and with none (jack on the frame). Your looking for anything that doesn't look right on the struts or all above components. I've had multiple failures over the years that the alignment people have missed. The worst was 2" of play on a steering bushing off of the rack and pinion steering out to the tie rod end. When they drove it onto the lift the tire friction would force the joint to one side and they would align the steering then test drive it. Took three tries to get it done. Same thing was happening. They said it was good and I drove it home. The next day it was pulling again. The tire would "wander" at speed causing the car to pull. Fixed the part and aligned it my self good to go. Rant 2 over. Castor and camber are a little harder to adjust but with the right tools you don't need a mechanic.

20

I have tried to switch the tires but its still the same. i suspect the steering rack might have been affected when i hit the curb. I am also concerned about how to find out exactly what is wrong since it might come down to a trial and error situation. Please advise.

470

Take it to Sears they will do a free front end inspection.