What does the dash light mean"Maintenance Required?

Asked by Jul 12, 2012 at 11:47 PM about the 2006 Toyota Camry LE

I just bought a Car yesterday and the dash light came on today saying Maintenance Required. There is no manual with the car.  What can I check?

2,535

Some cars have two lights, a CEL or "check engine light" and a "Maintenance Required" light. If the CEL comes on, that means you need to check the ECU for the code it's giving you. However, a Maintenance Required light is a light that comes on after a set amount of miles. It's there to remind you every so often to check and change things like your oil and such. It can usually be reset, which will turn it off until the car has recorded that set amount of miles again. There should be a button in your car to reset it, although it might not be in plain sight. You'll have to look for it. Be sure to check your fluids and such though, and have them changed if they need it!

2,655

HI...Soometimes the tech who change your oil or services your call will forget to reset it. All you need to do is turn key off (or button if newer). Then hold in toggle knob you use to change odo to tripometers while you turn key to "on" position but dont start (or, hold start button down) about 20 seconds while depressing the toggle for odo/tripometer. This will reset your light and sensor until next maintainance is required. Sincerely, mls4deals

320

The advice above totally worked! Thanks!

150

Thanks for the info...no book and didnt know...this is great help!

110

Thank you all for the advice. Will try it tonight when I get off work. God Bless

70

Mis4deals advice worked. Thanks for posting.

60

You all are great! Thanks!!!

30

Thanks all it's really help

20

Thanks for sharing !!!

40

No. 815 worked like a charm!!! Thank you for the info!!!

60

Thanks that did the trick the light is now off

340

I need a oil change real soon could that be why it came on?

70

Wow thanks for sharing. My camry is a 2014 & I do need to schedule the 6 month maintenance, but we did take a 1500 mile trip, that is too cool! thanks:)

1,180

On my 2010 Corolla, my maintenance reqd light came on and to reset it I pushed the toggle knob in (on the ODO) for 20 seconds while the key was turned off. I then turned the key over (not starting the car) and the maintenance light was flashing. I kept the toggle knob pressed in until the light stopped flashing. That is all there is to it. I hope this helps! Please Note: I am a little ol woman and I did it!!

30

Thanks a lot.

30

Thanks, will try when I get off work. Was thinking I needed a tune up. Thank you just bought the car and was told a tune up was done.

30

Thanks, this was a god send for my 2012 Camry and it kept me from a dealership visit and charge......

20

It worked.... holding in the ODO for 20 secs and then switch the car on and holding down the ODO till it stopped blinking... thanks for the help!

This is great advice and much appreciated!:)

Thank you. I had no manual to my car. This is great to know.

50

Thank you very much. I have a 2009 Toyota Camry with 90k. Last week the MAINT REQD light came on. Thanks to this site I reset the light with no problem. Engine off.......holding in the ODO for 20 seconds then switch the engine on until the the light was off and voala!!!!

40

Tried this with my 2013 Corolla S and no luck. I might have misunderstood the instructions even though they are pretty straight forward. I've changed the oil and filters. I'll give it another go to make sure I have the steps correct.

40

OK, I got it done. Was focusing on the MR light. Should have been focusing on the OD changing to all zeros. Thanks

Thanks so much!

My light just came on today 2011 camry with 85,000 moles but just had it serviced. I am going to try this tomorrow. Thanks!

30

What if it doesn't go away or isnt blinking?

Yep, this worked!

Yep, this worked!

40

Ok I'm driving a 2012 Tacoma and the maintenance light came on! Scary...since I'm driving my boss mans truck. But any how I google how to turn off the light and I did it....But my question is the only reason that light would come on is for a oil change! Or maybe because I drove it since so many miles and it's time for the oil to be changed again and is not another reason it would turn on. Is it safe to drive for the next two days until I get paid?

30

So is the MAINT REQ light ONLY activated by the # of miles? It's not activated by low oil. I wonder because it seems to me mine came on too early this time, before 3000 miles, and so I'm curious if it can be activated by low oil in the crankcase. Thanks!

It really worked!!!! Thanks so much!

Thank you for the advice. Thought it might be something else

It worked. It's been driving me crazy. And all other answers where based on cars that start with keys no push start. Thanks.

The instructions given here were pretty clear, but it did not work for my 2010 Toyota Corolla, even when I tried a few variations. I'll check another website. Maybe there is a tiny detail that I got wrong.

I copied this from Cartalk.com. Worked on my 2009 Camry when none of the other suggestions did: justin smits Contributor181 Answers With the key in the off position, hold down the trip reset button and turn the key on. You will see 5 lines across the odometer display that will count down. Continue to hold the button until all the lines have counted down and the light will be reset.

Nice this worked on the first try! Thanks so much!