1995 Thunderbird won't start.

Asked by Jun 22, 2015 at 08:50 PM about the 1995 Ford Thunderbird LX

Tried about everything.  Almost starts after sitting but won't keep running.  Getting spark on plugs.  Fuel pressure checks good.  Checked TPS and Mass Air sensor OK.  Changed fuel filter, replaced gas.  All injectors are clicking, pulled one and looked good and blew cleaner through it and misted good and didn't leak.  After cranking a while I get a gas smell but then it is pushing gas in and not running.  Any other suggestions?

16,810

Check air filter.

Thanks, checked that and disconnected hose and tried starter fluid with no help. Confused as we seem to have the three basics of air, fuel and spark???

58,455

If car quit while running,and you have fuel,spark and air,may be the timing or the ECM.

Is timing adjustable on these? I have no codes set so how can you diagnose ECM? I know it's getting spark to the plug but don't know about how to ck timing or ECM on these. Especially since I can't get it to run.

58,455

Was car running then quit while running?

16,810

Did you notice anything odd before it started doing what it is doing like would not go over a certain speed even with the accelerater all the way to the floor ?

We picked up the car from grandaughter with a description that made us think the tranny was going. Got it running enough to get it on a dolly to get it home but wouldn't start again after that. It seems to almost start after sitting for a while. Has not started since we got it home.

58,455

I think it may be the timeing has jumped,it will make you think the tranny is out,but car will be so bad out of time it wont go or change out right,and all so run real bad.

58,455

Or as you have now,not run at all,

How would I best check that? I get good compression check when cranking.

16,810

This may not be it but it would not hurt to just to check this out. Check for a clogged catalytic converter not clogged enough for vehicle to try and start but enough for vehicle not to stay running. I have seen it happen before.

16,810

When the vehicle does runs for a little bit place hand close to end of exhaust and feel how strong the exhaust is coming out of tail pipe it it feels weak exhaust not getting through catalytic converter. The best way to check is to undo converter from front exhaust pipe then start vehicle.

16,810

If vehicle runs that would be your problems.

May have to give this a try.

4,485

I agree with person who suggested timing problem. Sounds to me like the timing has jumped too. could be the tensioner is broke and giving too much slack or just a wornout chain. I didn't see any milage on it anywhere.

I am away from it for a while. Timing is a possibility. It smells rich or flooded when it trys to start. I did also check to see if the vacum lie from the fuel pressure regulator had any fuel in it fro a broken diaphram which I thought sounded like a possibility but it seemed clear.

20

im having the same problem only my car starts and runs perfectly but after 20 secs or so it shuts off

Wish I had a solution. We are leaning toward timing as the problem but have not had time to work on it and don't know how to check it.

4,485

There are several ways to check your timing. Go to Google or You Tube and search timing 1995 Thunderbird. You will get many instructions on doing it

I'm sorry but I checked both You Tube and Google and didn't find anything for checking timing on a 1995 T-bird. I know it's electronic ignition but hooked up the timing light but there are no timing marks visible. How do I know if it jumped timing?

4,485

I don't know about not having any timing marks but lets start with top dead center on cyl-#1. you will need to remove the rocker cover on that bank and the plug from #1. Slowly rotate the engine over clockwise until the rockers on #1 are both all the way up. any little movement should cause one of the valves to go down. Look in the plug hole and you should see the top of the piston. Also, in that position, you should remove the distributor cap and the rotor should be pointing to #1. With it in that position, look down at your crankshaft pulley and you should see a notch or mark of some kind and on the timing cover another mark. That is your TDC! From there you should be able to get it timed correctly.

Thanks for the help. There is no distributor as it is electronic ignition and no marks or notch that I can find on the pulley probably also because it is electronic. That is why I am wondering if the timing chain could have jumped perhaps. Grasping at straws.

4,485

Without pulling the timing cover I don't know if there is a way to check it since there are no marks for TDC. Sorry, good luck.

Slight progress. My son did the mechanical check to position engine at TDC and was then able to make out where the mark was. Next to apply timing light to see what we have. Thanks for the help.

4,485

GREAT! now you are getting somewhere