I have a 89 vette that when I turn the key-noting. no click click. nothing .

Norman Root

Asked by May 14, 2015 at 05:00 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

This has happened twice. cars been at chevy dealer for a week and they can't replicate.
They haven't gotten any error codes when putting the analyzers on it.  They run it and turn
off then restart.. it starts  The problem has happened to me twice..No click. no groans.
nothing. VATS???

starter take it off and get it bench tested

If the car is "dead" when this happens (no lights, radio display, absolutely nothing powers on) it's going to be a bad battery cable connection or blown main fuse in the underhood fuse box, if equipped. Unfortunately the car is probably older than the guys working on it. I'm sure they have no idea of what they're looking at. A VATS failure would present itself as a no crank condition. You'd have lights but it would not crank. Check the battery cable connections at both ends. Make sure everything is clean and tight. Also check for a burned out fuseable link at the starter. I'm leaning towards the battery cables since it's an intermittent condition. HTH. -Jim

this was the case with my 1991 recently,they found the connection to the fuel pump was bad,they changed the pump and connection.starts normal now.it took them 2 months to find the problem,because it would always start on them.

Jso8016 , Right on ... I had an 88' that did ( pretty much) tha' same dang thing.... Go thru tha' starter , alt. , pull the battery - check for BAD corrosion underneath on the extra ground cable from box to frame ... ( Oh yeah ...My 84' did almost the same thing too ! )

John Carson

Have the battery tested also for a bad cell. After it has been running, the cells will be charged, but left sitting for a while, a bad cell will discharge. When you turn on the car, do all the lights and radio work? If so, it could be a bad battery. A blown fuse will not let it start at all, so if it starts intermittently, the fuse is good. Like tgf said, another issue may tell the computer not to crank the engine. Electrical issues can be hair pullers for sure, especially if they are spazmatic. You also could have bad or corroded connections or the starter solenoid could be going bad. That is what makes the click sound, pushing the starter rod against the flywheel to engage it.