starting problem

Asked by Jul 30, 2009 at 09:55 PM about the 1989 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible RWD

my vette will only start if you add starting fluid, after that it runs fine but when you start it again you have to add the starting fluid to start hot or cold.

Could be a warped intake manifold as the heat changes the gap, so might be sucking in air there or at the gasket... Also possibly a gasket at intake or carburater.

I checked that, but the problem occures when it wants to,I have already replaced the dist.,coil,fuel pump,spark advance,pick up coil,computer,starter,alternator,cleaned and checked the fuel inj.,also the spark is yellow not blue like it should be.This thing is driving me crazy!

you better stop using starting fluid if you are doing it frequently. repeated use will destroy your engine.

what about the battery?

Yea ,I shouldn't make light of this, but like even some 'highly trained' mechanics,...Once U've replaced EVERYTHING!!! the problem seems to go away! Hmm, could pay a Chevy dealer to go thru ALL the crap & don't pay them unless they've found it out!! Right? I do that with my ZO6 ( @ 110 $$$ per hour), as I just don't have ALL the time in the world & after all I DOOOO want to drive the thing......

check the coil supply wires ( the ones that send charge to the coil ) one maybe broke in half, sending only half the needed juice it neds to build the right spark . with yellow spark, weak spark, not enough juice, maybe a week connection or ground to coil !

Best Answer Mark helpful

using an Ohms meter to check continuity

I traced the low volts to the ignition switch thank you for the input i got it fixed now, thanks again.

Never had a vette but have had a few cars which had fuel filters with check valves in fuel filter. If the check valve does not close when you shut the engine down the fuel runs back to the tank and the longer they set the harder it is to crank. Is a simple solution sorry I do not know if it really applys to you but something I have had trouble with a couple times. I told a friend about it she drives a Grand Am and she was using starting fluid to start her car in the mornings, she changed the fuel filter and said it did the trick.

How did you go about checking all the ignition coil and module? Voltage meter im guessing? What should each individual wire be at?