What does the cooling fan relay switches do?

285

Asked by Jan 11, 2016 at 08:42 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I have one in the center under the throttle body, a relay switch near the windshiled on the driver's side clearly visible, and I believe there's 2 more that I seen on the passenger's side.  Can you explain what they do?  I believe they cool down the engine when it gets to a certain temp and then shut back off -- for the radiator I believe.   Can I just bypass these switches as they tend to go bad and just have the radiator fan run upon starting the engine this way I won't overheat the car and my temp always stays below 190 or 180?  I live in South Florida and it's HOT here all year around...

34,665

The purpose of a relay is to switch on power to something. A small amount of power is put to the relay which causes it to switch on a larger amount of power to the intended device. In this case the temperature sensor sends a small amount of power to the relay which then turns on the cooling fan. Not all those relays you see are for the cooling fan, they are for other purposes.

Best Answer
285

Now, my next question: How do you test each one to see if they are in fact bad? With the switch still plugged in, can I use an electrical tester? I haven't changed them out since I've had the car since 1994... Should I change them? My cooling fan isn't switching on any longer.... Thanks for your help.

34,665

Yes you can test relays but I find the best way is to switch out a working relay with the suspect relay to see if there is any change. If it were my car I would just install a new relay to see if the cooling fan switches on. http://www.agcoauto.com/content/news/p2_articleid/245

285

Full of Regrets: Thank you SO MUCH. You helped me a lot.. I'm going to be busy this weekend! Take care!

34,665

Good luck to you!