Need A/C installatoin professional advice, please.

285

Asked by Nov 01, 2015 at 12:12 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

What exact tools and gauges do you need to put in compressor, evaporator, freon, expansion device, and accumulator\dryer, and do you NEED any special tools.   I need to ask this of potential mechanics...... My mechanic wanted me to buy all of his tools to do this PLUS all the parts above...... Need help, please.  Thanks.

15,325

Do you own his garage? If not go to an auto A/C repair garage. They already have several things to fix your car. Time, experience and tools. Would you have open hear surgery if the doctor asked you to buy his tools? With a name like Cheri and by your picture, I am guessing you are a young lady. You are getting taken to the cleaners. Go on line and find auto A/C repair garages in your area. Call and talk to them about your problem. Most will ask to see the vehicle, which helps them in estimate of prices. You will be surprised at the spread on pricing. If you have any male acquaintances that are "gear heads" or understand cars, ask them to help find a place that will not ask for your first born as down payment. Don't pay until the job is finished, and you are satisfied with what you paid for. Just because the registration says "Corvette" on it, should not determine the price.

Best Answer Mark helpful
285

No, I'm 48 years old..Thank you for the complement... And you are absolutely right. He's trying to take me to the cleaners....... I will take it now to a shop. I am done with mechanics that say "I've fixed hundreds of these Vetts and I can do it," and I'm left with shoddy work and I then have to repay another mechanic for what the first one did.... I couldn't drive it before as it was in a lot of pieces.... But I can now of course without the AC parts installed. Thank you for responding. Much appreciated.

15,325

I am fortunate to have found a mechanic I have been taking my cars to ever since my 38 year old daughter got her driver's license. He just happens to won an old Vette same as I and He not only is very good but affordable, reliable, honest and lets me shoot his air rifles in his shops target range. (25 feet). He is extremely busy, but what he does is order top parts but asks first and charges his cost on the parts. That way according to him, his work is top class, and customers are happy. He has been in business going on 40 years. That is who you need to find. If he is not able to fix your car, like smog or alignment, he sends you to his friends who are just as reliable, honest and affordable. Mechanics have their won little network of good garages and they all help each other out. I maintain, there is only 10% of the bad ones, and 5% more of those that are not experienced enough to do reliable work. If there is a Corvette club in you area, contact them for advice. They have the interest in Corvettes, know good shops to go to, and can give great advice on what is needed, and how to maintain and fix it. Enjoy the car.