Over heating problem

Asked by Jun 16, 2015 at 09:29 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible

I have a 1988 Corvette due to a leaking radiator it was replaced along with the cap, and thermostat. I can not feel any water in the lower radiator hose. Is ths due to a bad water pump (which was also replaced when the motor was rebuild last month

66,485

Sound,s like it may be the pump,crank car,remove cap,wait for thermostat to open,should see the coolant circulating,if not it will be the pump.

3,705

remove thermostat, let car idle, feel the top and bottom hose if thy are the same in temp, its the thermostat, if not replace the pump.

14,645

It could be air in the system. It also could be the thermostat is put in upside down? If you have anyone with a heat sensing gun, have them shoot the engine and see where the cool and hot spots are. Is the cap correct? Before tearing down the engine make sure the water pump is the cause. Just because you can't feel water flowing, does not mean it is not. first, check and make sure the hoses are not collapsing, then check the radiator cap and make sure it is the correct one. Next do the heat gun, then open the thermostat and make sure it is the correct temperature, and placed in correctly. Maybe even change it out. New ones have been known to fail, but not a common thing. See if anyone can "burp" the system to remove any air pockets. Use the suggested test from above to see if there is water flow. Make sure the engine is cold so you don't get splashed with hot coolants. If you have an old meat thermometer from your grandma's kitchen, put it in the radiator and see what the temp is as it warms up. Last is the water pump is you do not have water flow and the thermostat is in correct and good.