no turn over

20

Asked by Sep 17, 2014 at 08:07 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

i have a 1987 corvette..Auto trans. I had an issue where I had taken my son for ice cream and when we came out would not turn over. thought I had heard a pop or snap upon initially attempting to start it but that I'm not positive of. I have by passed the key code with a bypass purchased fro Ecklers. I have also by passed the start relay (VATS) located in the dash as suggested by numerous people as to completely eliminate the VATS system but the car does still not turn over. I have power to the starter and the battery has checkd good. Where should I begin?

71,775

Is the car "dead"? No lights, wipers, horn, etc.? -Jim

16,465

Check the battery connections. If you have a side mount battery, it may of come lose or the connection to the battery may have fallen out. Next check the wiring to the starter. The battery wires should be tight. Can you get it going with a jump start? Like Js08016 asked, is there any power at all to the car? A lose or poor connection could still run the lights but not allow enough amps to pass to the starter. Where did you hear the "pop or snap" come from?

20

Battery was checked and fully charged. When key is on all dash and appropriate lights come on. When key is turned to start mode appropriate lights stay lit as if it was turning over, but it doesn't. The pop sounded as if it came from under the hood when this all happened. Is there a fuseable link for the start wire to the starter and if so where is it?...... If that's even something I should look for?

16,465

There is a 20 or 40 amp fuse in the main fuse box for the starter I believe. The pop could have come from the starter itself. Have that checked for a lose or shorted out cable. Glad to hear everything is working. Last resort could be the ignition switch, but that isn't likely. How about the alarm system? Would it keep the car from starting or even turning over?

20

I completely by passed the VATS

16,465

The snap or pop sound like it could be an electrical arc. Can you jump start the car? If so, it will not be the starter or cables connecting it. If you put the jumper cables on it, listen when the key is turned to see if you have that sound again. Try to have someone looking at the engine when starting it. Is the alternator appear undamaged or free of electrical arcing? If your battery is good and the connections are good, it may be the starter or starter solenoid gone bad.

71,775

Have you tried starting it in neutral? Could be a bad neutral safety switch. Have you tried starting it with a remote starter button for testing purposes? HTH. -Jim

get it towed to a lake. push it in.

16,465

Billy Bob, what do you have against fish? You should use it for an anchor for your bass boat.

True John!