The rear tires on my 87 corvette are brand new. The wear is significant on one of them and the wear on this tire is an even wear all the way across the tire..air pressure is exact , the tires are only 3-months old.the other still looks new...help me understand...I am losing patience with this car

Asked by Jul 21, 2012 at 04:48 PM about the 1987 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

The rear end tires on my 87 corvette are brand new.  I noticed the tire(new) on the passenger side has significant wear compared to eats equal.  The driver side still looks new(3-months), and the passenger side looks used.  The tires wear is even all the way across the tire..so I have ruled out alignment\, under or over inflation....please help I am losing my patience with this car..costing me alot of moneyu

217,825

Could be a bad rear bearing that has excessive play. Also check the spindle nut.

when was the last time you had a wheel alignment. Having a wheel alignment will tell right away if anything is bent or just out of adjustment.

445

Maybe your positraction is not working? And you're spinning the heck out of that one tire?

725

how about the brakes system and parking park?

brakes do not wear out tires.

725

Seriously? Hit the brakes and leave a black strip of rubber on the pavement? What's the black strip made from? Certainly cannot be rubber from a set of tires! Try driving with handbrake on, or a seized caliper for three months; still no excessive tire wear?

i think you misunderstood the question seriously.

if the brake locks up , that causes heat ,within minutes the brake fluid will boil in the caliper causing a low or no brake pedal.and a strong burning oder. he doent say he's driving the car with 3 wheels spinning .i'm sure if that was the case he would know it. 87 vette has independant rear suspension , meaning it's adjustable, could also be a worn bushing.

445

The only thing that makes me think it's not an alignment is that he says it's evenly worn. Toe in or toe out, it would show more wear on one side or the other. Wobbly bushing would make a wobbly pattern and probably a wobbly noise and feeling while driving. (brakes are definitely out of the picture, you can't drive and not know your brakes are screwed up.)

6,615

i'd also say bearing problem. could be a limited slip problem too... how is the rear diff fluid in age???