Fuel injector crisis!

Asked by Aug 28, 2012 at 12:20 AM about the 1986 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I have my 86 corvette taken apart all the way below the fuel injector rail. Before I would start the car up it would blow smoke out the exhaust and it ran a little rough. It started up fine, but idled rough when it got hot. I have a feeling some of the injectors are bad and I don't know if I should replace all 8 of them or just replace the few that look bad and put new O-rings on the rest. I don't know if it's okay to have different brands of injectors or to have some new and some old. I am stuck deciding whether I should move forward with replacing all of injectors or just a few.

465

REPLACE ALL OF THEM!!!!! BECAUSE IF YOU DON'T, ONE OF THE OLDER ONES WILL QUIT WORKING. AND YOU WILL BE RIGHT WHERE YOU ARE NOW. WITH YOUR ENGINE IN THE GARAGE & NOT OUT ON THE ROAD!!!!!

Best Answer
7,185

in that year, they were not made well. i believe i replaced most of them due to leaks. it is a good idea to replace all. if possible, the '89 injectors are much better designed if they fit.

Awesome thank you for the help! I just ordered a new set and will see it in the mail soon.

465

YOU HAVE AN '86. JASON SAYS THE '89 INJECTORS ARE MUCH BETTER. CHECK YOUR PHONE BOOK OR ASK AROUND, TO LOCATE YOUR LOCAL SPEED SHOP. THEY'LL KNOW IF THESE YEARS CAN BE INTERCHANGED. AND ALMOST ANY OTHER QUESTION YOU CAN COME UP WITH. AND GOOD LUCK!!!! ME I'M A THREE DUECES GUY!!!!!!!!!

7,185

i read somewhere that they designed the injectors for continuous run.. not stop and re-start on testing. also alcohol/ethanoll in fuel tends to eat the seals. i found that my 89 injectors were built a lot better.

465

YEAH JASON; YOU START ADDING THIS & THAT TO YOUR FUEL & LITTLE PROBLEMS LIKE THINGS BEING EATEN, DISSOLVED. ALSO YOU NEED TO RECALIBRATE {ADJUST} CARBS 14 X 1 RATIO HAS BEEN ALTERED. INJECTORS I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH. BUT THEY DO PROVIDE THAT STEADY FLOW. AND I THINK YOU'RE RIGHT ABOUT THEM BEING CONTINUOUS. THEY'RE LIKE NEEDLES.