1986 corvette project

Asked by Jun 21, 2012 at 04:55 PM about the 1986 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I found this car on craigslist which was priced at $3200. Engine runs tires and brakes are good. Needs work on the interior and has a power steering leak underneath the car. The digital dash doesn't work and the last miles recorded on the odometer were a little over 60,000 miles. This car needs a lot of little things done to it which would be costly over time. Would this be a wise investment? Is this worth the $3200 or is it worth less or not at all

233,055

If you like the car and have the money to put into it, then it might be worth it. If you don't have extra cash and don't want the hassles, find one that is a little more moeny but well taken care of. There might be more issue than you know. Vettes like to nickel and dime you.

955

i bought my 84 trans am limited edition for 5,000, with a bunch of after market stuff on it...i thought it was worth it, but then it needed a tune up, has a power steering leak. needed new tires....a tune up woth an aftermarket engine pretty much requires a dyno, so its costs about 2,000 with dyno hours and other crap....i didnt wanna spend that much but afterwords it was gaulin some serious ass....but also look out, those early year C4's have fuel injection problems and intake manifold leaks

Ok it helps to know that other people have the same idea in mind when buying or looking at these corvettes. It might as well be worth it to spend a little more to get something in better condition. Thanks guys for the advice!

465

FOR MY MONEY, I SAY GET YOU A REAL CAR AS IN PRE ELECTRONIC IGNITION & PRE SMOG. THEN FIND YOU A QUALITY INTAKE & THREE FAT STROMBERG DUECES!!!!

if your looking for muscle go for something early 70s or late 60s. those vettes were a nightmare with instrument clusters, expensive to fix if you can still find somebody that works on them.good luck

if you can do a lot of the work yourself it is worth it. the gauges on my 86 didn't work . I ordered the polarized film and did it myself. took a few hours but they came out working like new. i suggest changing fuel injectors,hoses belts, vacuum lines.