what & where is the Barometric pressure censor on a 85 Corvette

Asked by Mar 22, 2013 at 03:49 PM about the 1985 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe

I have a code 32 showing up, Ive replaced EGR valve egr solenoid also & erase code but I cant pass smog to much Nox all other tests pass. Dont have alot of money so I dont know if I should replace the cat converter or find out what this Barometric pressure censor is, no one seems to know please help Im on a fixed income thanx. Serg

102,165

A 28 year old car has to pass smog testing?

21,665

that would be an early name to a map sensor .correct? should be on firewall with a vacuum hose on it

71,595

Yes, the "baro sensor" was what the MAP sensor was being called back in those days. In NJ any car not registered antique or classic must pass emissions testing every two years. Some states are like that. You must also report mileage when you title a car in NJ as well. No matter how old the vehicle is. No exemptions. HTH. - Jim

71,595

Usually when a car fails for NOX it's running too hot or too lean. Try filling up with premium. Also check your ignition timing & flush your cooling system. Wouldn't hurt to replace the thermostat as part of your cooling system flush. If possible take the car for inspection on a cool day as well. Don't "blow it out" as some people will tell you before you take it to inspection. That's nonsense. All that does is heat up the engine & you guessed it causes you to fail. Drive normally to the inspection station. Make sure the engine is at normal operating temperature (195°F). If you have to wait in line keep the oxygen sensor (s) warm by maintaining an idle speed of about 1,000 RPMs. This will keep the car's computer in "closed loop" operation & ready for emissions testing. Good luck! HTH. -Jim

Thanks guys for clearing up the map sensor question I was thinking that, but couldnt understand if that was it or the maf sensor. Anyways I realy appreciate Jims answer, car has new thermostat as well but never flushed it completely. The car is running very hot secondary fan runs about 235 and main fan @ 257 way hot. I also put new fan swith on the driver side engine block,tmp control sensor on drivers side & new fan relay switch. I was told that that may be reading inacurately hoter than the motors true heat? Put new cat & NOX jumped 200pts. Whats that about man sheesh. I was told to break it in, I added that guarentee pass stuff so waiting to burn that then I'll put the good fuel like u suggested & flush radiator k Thank You Serg.

71,595

If, after flushing the cooling system, you're still running that hot check the ignition timing. Retarded (late) ignition timing will cause the engine to run hot. If you have some miles on this car. Say over 120,000, start to suspect a worn or jumped timing chain. If you're also having issues with late (automatic transmission) shifting, lack of power, and boiling over when you shut off the engine these are classic symptoms of a worn or jumped timing chain. One other possibility is a problem with the knock sensor. If your engine has developed a valve tap the knock sensor may be "hearing" it and is "thinking" the engine is knocking. This happened to me with my '93 Caprice. The computer will retard ignition timing to stop the knocking. A valve tap may cause the computer to severely retard the ignition timing & cause the above mentioned problems. Please keep us posted. Once again good luck! HTH. - Jim